GO!

Percentage of bone in rabbit?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Fergus TT

mmm... feet.

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 12:15pm PST 
I've been trying to find the percentage of bone in a whole rabbit, but I'm having trouble... anyone know?

I've looked at the USDA and Canadian nutrition sites.

Thanks!
[notify]
Arwen

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 1:02pm PST 
The 80/10/10 ratio that is the base of all feeding raw comes from the average ratio of meat to bone to organ in whole prey animals that they would eat in the wild, rabbit being one of those common prey animals being eaten. I would imagine aside from the digestive tract that the ratio is approximately 80/10/10.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 1:45pm PST 
I did find whole raw rabbit in the nutrient database, but it says 0% refuse, so you're right, the bone content isn't listed. As the next best educated guess, I'd go with Arwen and say it's probably a rough estimate of %10 or so....
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 2:17pm PST 
Here you go.
http://web.archive.org/web/20061016171802/www.serve.com/BatonRo uge/nutrition/tissue_percentage_of_common_prey.htm
Just exactly 10% in the whole critter. Any bits are missing from your rabbit?
[notify]
Fergus TT

mmm... feet.

Barked: Mon Oct 25, '10 6:29am PST 
Thanks! The rabbit was from a grocery store, so it was missing its head and it had leg 'stumps'. laugh out loud
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Oct 25, '10 6:43am PST 
So missing head, feet, blood, all the guts, skin and hair? More than 10% bone for sure!

Rabbit, domestic
Oryctolagus cuniculus 2.25 Eviscerated
Rabbit, domestic
Oryctolagus cuniculus 0.64 Whole, incl. GIT
from http://www.rodentpro.com/qpage_articles_03.asp

If whole rabbit is 10% bone and .64% Ca then an eviscerated rabbit that is 2.25% Ca might be 35% bone.

The last chicken, supposed to be 30% bone, was too much bone for Max. You might serve the rabbit in bits alone with boneless stuff or organ just in case.
[notify]