GO!

How big is your freezer and how much does it hold?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Oct 19, '10 4:42pm PST 
So I had gotten 120lb of beef and fish for $20, and it just filled my poor freezer all the way up. And Nare has barely made a dent of it as of yet and there are some really good sales going on which I want to stock up on.. Buttt I need a bigger freezer. I have no idea what size I want though. It would be great to have something that holds like ~400lb, but I'm not sure if even a 10 cu ft freezer can do then. laugh out loud

I had read that a stand up freezer is good for everything but a chest freezer should only have like one sort of thing so you don't have to dig around.. Should I get one of both? How much does a stand up freezer hold, and same with the chest freezer?

Thanks!
[notify]
Abby

If it looks bad- and smells bad- EAT IT!

Barked: Tue Oct 19, '10 4:48pm PST 
if you want one to hold that much buy a 20cu.in. I have that size for human consumption and it doesn't take long to fill. Abby's freezer is a 12cu.in and it will only hold around 200lbs.
[notify]
Kodiak

Rabbit Control- Expert

Barked: Tue Oct 19, '10 5:29pm PST 
When I can get a standalone freezer, it will be a chest freezer (baring being given a standup one for free I guess!). I'll want to put horizontal dividers in it to help organize things more and be less likely to need to dig forever, but in general the design of a chest freezer allows you to have it open longer without loosing as much cool air, since cool air sinks and more of it will end up back in the freezer after you close the door. With an upright the air 'falls out' as soon as you open the door, so even if you can find it faster with more shelves and the door shelves, it may not be as efficient as reaching down into a chest freezer to dig something out. That's my understanding anyway smile
[notify]

Mystique- 'Tiki'

Wooo Awooo!

Barked: Tue Oct 19, '10 5:39pm PST 
We traded in our chest freezer for a stand up freezer. I hated digging in the chest freezer. and the stand up holds more for sure. We have two stand up freezers... BOL! One for the humans, one for the furkids. big grin
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Oct 19, '10 6:13pm PST 
In my experience, chest freezers are much easier than upright freezers when you have a lot of bulky, irregularly shaped chunks of stuff in them (thinking of entire turkeys, rib slabs, and deer necks).

Chest freezers are also generally cheaper to buy, and more are available second-hand.

Another thing to keep in mind is that everytime you open an upright freezer for any length of time, the cold air pools and drops out of the freezer, whereas with a chest freezer, the cold air stays in the freezer...just a thought.

And in case you hadn't guessed, we only have chest freezers lol.
One small apartment sized one (6ish cu.ft?), a 9 cu.ft for Rexy, and a 14 cu.ft for meat for the people and really bulky things that won't fit in Rexy's freezer.

Rexy's freezer holds almost 200lbs of meat. It's full to the brim at the moment, and I'm wishing for more space too!

Rexy's freezer is second-hand and I found it by checking local bulletin boards. A couple of phone calls and $75 later, it was mine. Of course, as soon as we found it, several 20 cu.ft freezes came up for sale eek likely just as well that I wasn't tempted...not sure I could even get that in the house!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Oct 19, '10 6:16pm PST 
14 cubic foot upright, stuffed to the brim right now and no way is it large enough for what you want. Just bought 80 pounds of stuff, already had 4 boxes ranging from 20-40 pounds plus half a dozen chickens and maybe 15-25 pounds of meat on trays.
[notify]
Sienna

Barked: Tue Oct 19, '10 7:30pm PST 
I just bought a chest freezer so I didn't hog the space in my parents upright freezer..they are not too fond of raw feeding.
After much thought I decided upon the chest style freezer. My parents have a newer upright and I didn't like how everything had to stack perfectly in order to hold large quantities of food, plus like Rexy said, uprights can't handle irregularly shaped items as nice as the chest freezers do.

I originally wanted the largest chest freezer that Sears carried, which is the Kenmore Elite at 24.9 cu/ft and says it can hold 871 lbs of food BUT my boyfriend convinced me that the smaller one at 19.7 cu/ft (which states it could hold 689lbs of food) would be large enough and it was $100 cheaper. To my surprise when my boyfriend picked up the freezer and set it up at home it ended up being the larger 24.9 cu/ft freezer!!!! How awesome is that!!

Anyways, the Kenmore Elite chest freezer has an organizational package which means that there are dividers in the bottom of the freezer so you can put chicken in one section, beef in another etc. I think it separates it into 6 sections plus it has three baskets on top (it could probably hold 5 baskets altogether if you wanted to buy additional ones).

But just note that you can only fill the bottom sections only so much in order for the top baskets to slide across the top of the freezer.

I should also mention that my parents were also against the chest freezer and said to get an upright because "you'll never find anything in a chest freezer and it will go freezer burnt"...but now they are taking up space in my freezer with their odd shaped turkeys and large roasts. Annoying.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Oct 19, '10 8:14pm PST 
From what I've heard, every 1 cubic foot will hold between 30 and 40 pounds. Our current freezer is a 5 cubic footer and it's holding about 150 pounds right not with room to spare.
[notify]
Riley CGC- DSA

Designer Mutt!

Barked: Tue Oct 19, '10 9:35pm PST 
I live in a very tiny one bedroom apartment, so I was content with fitting a compact 3.5 cu feet freezer in my bedroom. Ha! It holds more than I thought it would; just over 100 lbs. Granted, it is very cramped. I could probably fit more in there if I repackaged the meat when I brought it home. It works for now!
[notify]
Abby

If it looks bad- and smells bad- EAT IT!

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 4:26am PST 
One thing I haven't heard is "space". Chest freezers do hold the cold in better but they take up a lot of floor space. My chest freezer takes up more floorspace and is half the size of my upright. I do agree you can store more food in a chest freezer but mine is full to the top and it really stinks standing there pulling food out to get what I want. So, buy according to the space you have and cu.ft. you need.

www.craigslist.com is a good place to find used freezers. picked mine up for $50
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2