GO!

Too much meat?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 9:42am PST 
Pookie gets canned food in the morning and evening, but lately I've been giving him a raw chicken or turkey tender as a 2nd dinner (the turkey tenders are about twice the size of the chicken tenders, but maybe they're just flatter and wider). Are those pieces too large to be giving him without supplementing calcium? I just want to make sure I'm keeping things balanced and not giving too much meat.

Thanks! wave
[notify]
Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 1:28pm PST 
Hi Pookie! I would say that if you are feeding him this way every day, and planning to do so indefinately, that it might be a bit too much meat. If you're just doing it as a transition type of thing, then it will be ok for a while. Have you ever tried him with a chicken wing or a bit of game hen? Maybe you can try to work something like that in once or twice a week to help balance things out. You can always smash them up at first to help Pookie out with the chewing aspect if you think he's going to have trouble with them.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 3:13pm PST 
Is a tender 100% pure meat? I'm not sure what they are. Assuming they're pure meat (which is the only thing I would feed) I think Shade's right - if it's a long term thing it might not be great. But you know how you'll know? By the poop! If it gets soft it's too much meat.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Barked: Fri Oct 15, '10 3:47am PST 
BK, you know when you buy whole, boneless breasts, that small piece that kind of hangs folded underneath the main part? That is the breast tender. Some grocery stores sell them seperately from the breasts so that, I guess, you can make fried chicken tenders out of them. I've never seen turkey ones though; that would be cool.smile

Shade
[notify]
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Barked: Fri Oct 15, '10 6:29am PST 
Ohhhh, thanks Shade! I was picturing some kind of ground chicken and filler thing. Whew!
[notify]
Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Barked: Fri Oct 15, '10 7:09am PST 
Thanks for your help! His poops are pretty hard, so I haven't noticed anything different there but I'll keep an eye out. I've also given him a forkful or two of Weruva for his second dinner (instead of the raw) but I'm out and need to get more.

I'm considering getting some chicken wingettes to see if he'll eat the bone but I'm nervous about doing that. It took me years to figure out that his bad diet was causing his health problems, and now that things are better I don't want to push my luck by giving him something with a bone (even mashed) that he might have trouble with. Any advice on how to get past that initial nervousness?

I just realized, everyone on this thread (so far) is a Terrific Tuxedo. Cool! big grin

Edited by author Fri Oct 15, '10 7:14am PST

[notify]