GO!

bully sticks... aka cow penis...

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Taboo Crew- Max, Bindi,- Lily &

Be the moose

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 5:51am PST 
Um, Addy.

Bully sticks aren't made when bulls become steers. Steers still have their penises, they don't remove that. They only remove the testicles.

So when a bull becomes a steer you can make rocky mountain oysters, but not bully sticks.
[notify]

Be the moose

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 5:55am PST 
Apparently Pizzle is an Old English word for bull penis. So its the same thing.

According to this sight http://www.bullysticks4dogs.com/ bully sticks can also be called a beef pizzle, beef stick, pizzle stick, steer stick. But they all contain just that one ingredient.

That site also explains the process a bit.
[notify]
Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 5:58am PST 
lol, "beef stick"... lol

so the different sizes have nothing to do with the fatc that the bulls had been castrated prior to slaughter?

they just come out different sizes ?
[notify]

Be the moose

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 6:15am PST 
I don't see how castration would affect penis size. Two totally different parts of anatomy. No part of a bull's penis touched during castration.

Different sizes probably depend more on processing than anything, but could also be variant on the size of animal at time of slaughter.

Edited by author Sun Aug 29, '10 6:16am PST

[notify]
Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 6:20am PST 
I think early castration (before the animal reaches physical maturity) would affect penis size. smile
[notify]
Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 6:34am PST 
O-OMD... dang I never knew this! Haha and Pepsie ate a bully sticklaugh out loud but she sure enjoyed it.....
[notify]

Be the moose

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 6:43am PST 
Laila,

I was wondering the same thing. I've been trying to find out if lack of testosterone from an early age would affect it or not. Not much luck. And I'm NOT asking the vet lol. laugh out loud

Its probably safe bet to say though that most bully sticks do come from steers, but only after they've been slaughtered. Usually if you're going to keep a bull intact its because you intend to breed it.

All my life around cattle and of all things I've ever learned or asked about, this just never crossed my mind.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 7:21am PST 
This thread needs Lincoln to come by with her picture of the RAW "bully stick" she got from the butcher.
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 7:29am PST 
Actually we've done some research on this and found that there are steer sticks which are made from the penis of a steer (castrated). They still have their penis, but it doesn't get as much, um, exercise as a bull penis so that is why they are not as hard when dried. I can't remember whereall I read this, but a couple of different companies had it on their websites explaining the differences between the two.

Also, some bully sticks smell, others don't smell as much. The reason they smell is because they were not washed as thoroughly before drying. The idea of dried pee and whatever in there doesn't bother me and my dogs love it, but if you want a less smelly treat, look for the ones that talk about how much they are washed before drying.

Both are equally long (3 ft or so uncut), but the bully sticks are harder to chew through than the steer sticks. We get ours at costco, $20 for 12 bully sticks (foot long ones!) that are free range!
[notify]

Be the moose

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 7:36am PST 
Thanks Ollivander,

That does make sense.

The things we talk about laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3