GO!

can some dogs just *not* handle raw?!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Buckley

so stinkin' cute

Barked: Thu Aug 5, '10 11:36am PST 
i never thought the universe would dupe me like this!

i'm an avid raw feeder, have been for 2 years with my shiba inu.

when we adopted our newest pup, he was 13 weeks old and was on some sort of unnamed brown food (which I think was nutro). I immediately put him on a home cooked diet thinking his baby teeth couldn't crush bones.

When he began teething, I bought a grinder and started to grind his new raw food - begin on chicken and go from there. He had a horrible time digesting for a solid two weeks on just chicken (ground, raw.

I thought perhaps the absence of bone in its whole form for him to chew and all that was the problem.. so we waited for his teething to end while going back to home cooked food.

His cooked food is mainly meat, egg, some ground veggies and steamed potatoes as the carb. Occasionally I'll throw in cottage cheese or yogurt.

So when he was done teething we tried him on chicken again.
Still had a horrible time digesting it for a whole week.
I gave him a days worth of fasting then tried him on whole fish.
Same issue - horrible digesting.

At this point, the dog just needs to eat a healthy diet and I'm ready to think that as some cruel joke, I have a dog that just cannot handle a raw diet. I'm considering trying premade, but if that works, I can't really afford to buy it as I have two other dogs who do just fine on a "home prepared" raw diet of whole ingredients and not premade patties.

Is it possible to have a dog that just can't do raw?!
[notify]
Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Thu Aug 5, '10 11:48am PST 
When you mean horrible digesting, are you talking about constipation? Diarrhea?
[notify]
Buckley

so stinkin' cute

Barked: Thu Aug 5, '10 11:52am PST 
diarrhea. loose, mucky mucus diarrhea. loads of gas. sometimes it was just liquid, watery.

had a tough time housebreaking the poor guy because he could never hold it!

ETA: it was the same source of chicken i was giving my other two dogs who did not have any digestion issues, so that made me rule out that it was something off in the meat itself.

Edited by author Thu Aug 5, '10 11:53am PST

[notify]

Zack

I would rather- go through than- around!!

Barked: Thu Aug 5, '10 11:53am PST 
Sounds really sensitive. I got the same outcome at first. Yogurt and some pumpkin helped out a lot.
[notify]
Spuds "The- Angel Potato- Head"

Thinking of my- pal Troop!!

Barked: Thu Aug 5, '10 11:54am PST 
It's possible that raw chicken doesn't agree with him. Straight Fish is a bit hard on some dogs.

Why not try a week of lean pork with bone? Maybe ribs would be a good way to try.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu Aug 5, '10 12:01pm PST 
I'm sure it is because of not having the bone.. My pup is 7 weeks and can chew through bones like a champ. And if you introduce a new protein (fish) without slowly transitioning into it, then of course hes going to have the squirts.
I would go back to Chicken legs/thighs and don't grind the bone. A few days of loose stools is to be expected. Try giving him some yogurt or canned pumpkin to help his tummy, too. But if chicken isn't working out you can try starting him on turkey instead.
[notify]
Lantis

I love small- dogs..

Barked: Thu Aug 5, '10 12:15pm PST 
Sounds like Lantis, poor pup. What's the bone content of the chicken you've been grinding up for him? Equivalent to a chicken quarter? More? Less?

Lantis needs lots more bone than the others even months into feeding raw. He can't go a day without bone, at least a chicken quarter's worth. He seems to do the best on premade, probably because of how much bone content there is in most grinds and because of its consistancy. I know you said you can't do premade forever, and we don't plan to either once he comes back to us, so for us and Lantis, it's lots of probiotics and bone.
[notify]
Sirius- Padfoot- Black

Too clever for- Mom's own good!- :)

Barked: Thu Aug 5, '10 12:27pm PST 
Is the chicken perhaps enhanced? Some dogs can handle that, others just cannot.
[notify]
Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Thu Aug 5, '10 12:55pm PST 
I started Henry on premade raw (lots of bone) and then I made the transition. No problems at all. Maybe you could try that if nothing else works?
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Thu Aug 5, '10 2:40pm PST 
Try a different protein. It is rare, but some dogs just can't handle raw chicken. Go to pork or beef or rabbit or lamb. Turkey is a different protein as well, even though it's a bird like chicken. Just try different things.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3