GO!

Canned Sardines and Canned Mackerel????

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zane

If it's not raw,- it's not food!

Barked: Tue Jun 8, '10 3:36pm PST 
I purchased a can of Sardines in water. It contains Sardines, water and salt...but does not give me the amount of sodium/salt used. Can I feed this to Zane to replace the fish meals, as all I can find is Tilapia?

I also purchased a can of Jack Mackerel, the total sodium content on that can is 280 mg or 11%. Will I be able to use this as a means to feed him fish in his diet?

If not....Will it be okay to give him a very small amount as a snack or treat daily until the cans are used up?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jun 8, '10 5:15pm PST 
You don't have to feed any fish if you don't want to. If it is cheap enough then it is a fine source of protein. If it is the sort you are looking at then it is a handy source of Omega 3. If you feed lots of grass fed or wild meats you don't need to worry about it at all.

A little may be fine IF his tummy is up to it. Save it for later.

Spend the extra days now to get his tummy up to speed and then worry about balancing the diet. If he just poops it out it doesn't matter how perfectly you have managed the Ps and Qs they didn't get absorbed anyway! You know Bam Bam's story I am sure.
[notify]
Zane

Barked: Tue Jun 8, '10 5:59pm PST 
Yup I am very aware of Bam Bam's story. I was just worried about the Omega 3's. I resorted back to chicken because Zane had the runs, but at 12 weeks I am sure it's a bout of worms or even Giardia....which I have started him on a 3 day course of Panacur to see if that helps.

I know I don't HAVE to feed fish...I just like giving him a variety of different things....and it's pretty cool to see him chomping through an actual whole animal lol.

I have started him on beef liver....just a sliver a day until he can get used to it. But I know thats not the cause for the runs, as he had it on just plain chicken, which he is well adjusted to.
[notify]

Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Tue Jun 8, '10 7:25pm PST 
I don't worry much about the sodium content, honestly. Though I do rinse my sardines and mackerel before feeding it.
[notify]
Sirius- Padfoot- Black

Too clever for- Mom's own good!- :)

Barked: Wed Jun 9, '10 8:21am PST 
The canned stuff is the only fish Siri and Belle will eat. I tried the smelts when I found them and even the cats wouldn't touch them! The puppies thought the fishy-smelling toys were great to play with, but not food, nope, definitely not food.
Like Risa, I rinse off the fish before serving to cut the sodium down some.
[notify]
Zane

Barked: Wed Jun 9, '10 9:45am PST 
Now when I opened the can of Mackerel I noticed it was cooked. The brand I found was Chicken of the sea....same people who make Tuna. Is there a raw canned form I can look for at a different market? I haven't opened the can of Sardines yet so i'm not sure if they are raw or not. It doesn't say cooked or smoked, so I dunno. Is it okay to feed a raw dog cooked canned fish lol?
[notify]
Duke

Dukey Bear!!

Barked: Wed Jun 9, '10 12:11pm PST 
Im going to be trying canned sardines tonight...

Yesterday when they tried smelts...well guess they were slimy toys!!!
Tucker was throwing his around and then rolling on it...Duke was tearing it to shreds and leaving it on the carpet.
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Wed Jun 9, '10 12:31pm PST 
The only fish I have been feeding lately is canned sardines in spring water. Its always cooked, I'm not sure if you can buy raw fish in a can. I get them from Big Lots for $.75 each. It would be best to drain and rinse them before feeding.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Jun 9, '10 12:53pm PST 
'Canning' as it applies to original preservation methods uses heat, so no, you cannot buy raw canned fish as far as I know...

But they are fine to be fed. Rarely do the dogs get them canned, though, as they have to fight me.. I love them too!!

They get all their other fish raw. They gotta fight me for those, too though. wink
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Jun 9, '10 1:24pm PST 
I feed canned sardines in water every once in a while for Charlie. I know they are cooked, but I feel better feeding them since I had a hard time filling out my spreadsheet and someone told me that they are great sources of uhh.. magnesium and something else.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2