GO!

How much garlic to repel fleas?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Fergus TT

mmm... feet.

Barked: Fri Apr 2, '10 5:11am PST 
I've heard that garlic can be used as a flea preventative... just curious if anyone feeds it to their dogs and, if so, how much? Fergus is now around 22 lbs. I'd like to avoid using pesticides, so I thought I'd give garlic a shot. smile
[notify]
Bandit

I'm sure I did- something bad- today ;)

Barked: Fri Apr 2, '10 7:52am PST 
Thanks for asking this...I was wondering this myself. I wanted to start giving it to my pups today. I heard it takes a few weeks for it to take effect.
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Fri Apr 2, '10 10:32am PST 
I'm not sure really, I don't have fleas here really... but I think it's just like a sprinkle on the meat everyday... or I think you can also go to a health food store and pick up some garlic tablets..
[notify]

Bella

Barked: Mon Apr 5, '10 9:11am PST 
I've been feeding Bella raw for 5 weeks now and have included garlic from day one. I crush a half a clove and put it in her meal every other day. Unless the fleas haven't woke up or developed into adults yet (it's been rather warm here in MI for over a month now), we are flea-less at this point. I also add colloidal silver and apple cider vinegar in her water every day. I understand that the ACV also is a natural flea deterrent.
[notify]
The Hounds- of- Bassetville- +3

Food? Where?!?

Barked: Mon Apr 5, '10 9:24am PST 
Make sure you do not feed raw garlic... it is toxic. It has to be cooked, but a sprinkle is all it takes.

I use food grade Diatomaceous Earth(DE). So far so good. I just sprinkle a bit on there coats and rub it in. It has no odor and works by dehydrating fleas. It also works on other insects. Ants somehow got into our mail box the other day, so I sprinkled a little bit of the DE in their with them, the next day I came back and they were gone (dead).
[notify]
Sophie

Can I lick the- plate please?

Barked: Mon Apr 5, '10 10:35am PST 
Ive heard that raw garlic is bad for dogs but i do it every summer for fleas and have never had a problem also Dr pichard ( I think that his name, something with a P) recommends raw garlic for fleas and worms. I have his book. shrug It works great for fleas!
[notify]
Babee

Barked: Mon Apr 5, '10 11:37am PST 
From Wikipedia (& other google results)

Allium sativum, commonly known as garlic, is a species in the onion family Alliaceae. Its close relatives include the onion, shallot, leek, chive, and Rakkyo.

I would not feed garlic, especially raw, since it is part of the onion family.
[notify]
Hemi Lucas- RIP 10/18/02- - 3/22

I'm A Handsome- Man!!

Barked: Mon Apr 5, '10 11:49am PST 
Raw garlic is not bad for dogs, in small amounts. You have to look it up how much they can handle. I have done it before with my dogs. They stunk in the summer, but otherwise no effects. Still found ticks on them (have no fleas here)
[notify]