GO!

Kibble and RAW...how to feed?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maya, Sadie,- and Kona

Barked: Thu Mar 18, '10 12:22pm PST 
I know most of you will respond don't feed the kibble but it isn't my dog.....I am trying to help my sister.

My sis has a boxer and a bull mastiff and she wants to start feeding them better (THANK DOG!!!) They were on Beneful (finally got her to switch that) and now they are on Purina One. Her bull mastiff just had surgery on his back legs...something about the bones growing wrong. Anyway she wants to start feeding them a better diet....I am so excited!!!

For now she wants to stick with the kibble (I know I know....baby steps) and and RAW. I told her the meals need to be fed 12 hours apart. I will have her start with chicken but how much should she feed? I was thinking 1/2 the recommended amount of kibble in the am and then 1-1.5% of body weight of RAW at night. Does that sound right?

I am hoping that in a few months I can convience her to drop the kibble. She has my dogs as an example to help convince her (mine have been RAW fed for 1.5.yrs and are healthy).

Thanks in advance for any help.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Thu Mar 18, '10 12:32pm PST 
Hi, there! way to go

Yes, I think what she needs to do is to feed half of the recommended amount of kibble (if not less, since the feeding suggestions on the bag are almost always excessive) and then half of whatever amount of raw she would normally feed. Here is a site that calculates for her if she wants it:

http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

FWIW, although I would never go BACK to that, I did feed a combination of kibble and (mostly pre-made) raw for several years and it worked out fine. 100% raw is way better and actually even easier I think, now that I'm fully back into it, but my concern is really not the combo kibble/raw feeding methodology but rather the kibble that is being used. P1 is certainly better than what she was feeding before, but I would feel a lot better about something like California Naturals - it's a much better food, and the price difference is not that great.

Either way, glad she's actively working to improve her dogs' diets. That's awesome! way to go
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Thu Mar 18, '10 12:39pm PST 
I would encourage her to ditch the Purina One and get the dog on a grain free kibble. Taste of the Wild is a good one that is fairly inexpensive. Probably not much more than what she is paying for the Purina. It's easy to find too. Even some feed/farm stores carry it.

Once the grains are out of the diet, then you can concentrate on adding in some raw. I'd do as you suggested and separate them by at least 12 hours and start with bone-in chicken breasts, or half a chicken, or chicken quarters, or whole cornish hens. Once the dogs are comfortable with the new diet, you can start adding in other proteins.
[notify]

Maya, Sadie,- and Kona

Barked: Thu Mar 18, '10 12:41pm PST 
Tucker I hear ya on the P1. I cringe everytime she says she feeds it. I am hoping that she will see how easy RAW is and just go with that once she is more comfortable.

However, I do suggest other kibbles all the time to her. It's what finally made her switch off Beneful. I am trying my best to present her info to change her habits.
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Thu Mar 18, '10 1:02pm PST 
I would assume you'd just do half the recommended kibble and 1/2 the reccomended raw, so like you said 1-1.5%

As for purina one - yes raw will help but you may find yourself being one of the lucky ones that get sick everyday because the body will try ' detoxing' itself ALL the time because of the junk that's being fed along side the raw.

If the dogs are getting super sick, I would suggest giving some better kibble to them preferably grain free.. I just wanted to mention that because a few months ago someone came here and asked that - we found out they were feeding like SD or Beneful along with raw and once they stopped the grains, it was good.

Good luck with your Sister!! I hope she comes to the dark side (we have steak)
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Mar 18, '10 1:12pm PST 
Raw for breakfast, TOTW for dinner. Half the recomended amount of both and then adjust as needed. We do raw for breakfast and kibble for dinner. Works well for us.
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Thu Mar 18, '10 1:22pm PST 
Everyone pretty much answered your questions for you but I just wanted to add I know what its like to try and change your sister's mind. My older sister has 2 huskies and for many, many years fed Beneful, Science Diet and all that other crap. I didn't know any better until a few years ago and sllowwllyy got her to change to Canidae. She then slipped up and started buying Nutro at which point I had to sllowwllyy convince her it was horrid crud. Finally I get her to buy TOTW and she has been buying it for about 6 months now. THANK GOODNESS! I hate talking about this subject with family members because I can probably sound like a pain to them.... but hey... when your dog is so unhealthy from eating bad foods I have to speak up for them, right?? Good luck!!!!
[notify]
Lily and- Moira

Happy Birthday- to us!!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 18, '10 7:03pm PST 
We are the opposite of Fritz and company. Rotated kibbles - right now it's Blue Buffalo Lamb and Evo Red Meat - in the morning and prey model raw in the evening. Works for us.
[notify]
Manchego

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 5:45pm PST 
Just curios why those of you who feed half raw and half kibble do it? No judgment here... just honestly curious.

And I also know what it's like to try to convince family members... but my sister is convinced that she's too broke to feed raw, even though her husband is an avid hunter and everyone they know is also a hunter so there is lots of freezer burnt meat to go around. Anyway, I have pretty much given up but it was worth a try! shrug
[notify]
Lola

Poodle, not- doodle!

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 6:04pm PST 
I feed rotated grainfree kibble in the morning and prey model raw at night. I do this for three reasons.
1. I trial a lot and do not want to travel with meat.
2. I don't completely trust myself.
3. I want to be ABSOLUTELY sure that my dogs are getting everything they need. With a super premium kibble and prey model raw, I feel I am covering all my bases. That one probably goes with number two.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2