GO!

Prey model for cats....

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Muta

want to- cuddle???

Barked: Wed Feb 24, '10 8:10pm PST 
Okay so it is not turning out to be so easy!
For the dogs, all I have to do is toss something down and they scarf it up.
For those of you that feed prey model to your cats, how do you assure they are getting all the nutrients they need?
My cats are so picky! Some days they will eat bones, some they wont. Some days they will eat organs, some they wont. I also have one cat that cant have raw beef at all. He can handle it cooked but not raw for whatever reason.
Do you supplement with something like Instinct Powder or Prowl from THK?
I want to make sure they are getting everything they need, but, as of now they are not getting the proper variety.
Thanks for any advice!
[notify]
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Barked: Thu Feb 25, '10 12:14pm PST 
Mom supplements Teddy's ground meat/bones/organs because it's easy to put stuff in the ground. But she doesn't supplement my raw chunks. She just feeds me the standard prey model: 80% muscle meat, 10% bones, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ. Instead of trying to get that mixture in every day we try to do it by the week. Twice a week I get a bone and organ meal. I guess there's no way to know if it's perfect, but so far we're doing ok! If you're not sure, or if they're not eating enough bones or organs, or if you're not getting a lot of variety into their diets, I believe there's a vitamin that's the equivalent of a kitty One-A-Day? Can anyone help with the name of that?
[notify]
Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Barked: Thu Feb 25, '10 12:49pm PST 
Hi Muta. As BK said, you don't need to feed bone and organ every day. Some days just muscle meat is fine. You can pick a period of time over which you want to balance the diet, a week like BK said, or something like every 3 days. For the cat that can't eat beef, is there another dark meat that he can handle? Remember that darker meats have more taurine in them, so turkey or chicken thighs, lamb, hearts, goat, bison, etc. are good good replacements for something like beef.

I don't know much about cat vitamins per se. I used to make the mix with Feline Future's Instincts powder and I feel that is a good product. You can browse around on the Only Natural Pet Store website, they have lots of supplements. I do sometimes supplement with taurine powder. I bought taurine capsules in the health food store and just break them open and pour the powder into the food. My guys tend to notice when I add something to their meat, so I don't do it too often as I end up throwing out too much food.

Purrs,

Shade
[notify]

Aura

I'm a delicate- flower!

Barked: Thu Feb 25, '10 1:10pm PST 
I feed actual whole prey - frozen mice and chicks, so that's how I know Aura's getting all the nutrients. It's all right there in the prey. happy dance
[notify]