GO!

How much/often do I feed green tripe?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Hippo

Barked: Fri Feb 19, '10 5:12pm PST 
Hey guys! If this question does exists already, please feel free to delete it (I didn't find anything right off the bat (6 or 7 pages down) for the answer though).

How often should you feed green tripe and how much? I'm getting a meat grinder in 2 weeks so I can blend food together to save TIME. Hippo has broken his large molar in half (which then had to be removed), another dog that I take care of rarely chews (grind) his food and chokes very easily. In other words, he's a gulper and has choked on the dumbest things and you gotta remove what's stuck via various methods. I've had to buy him a special feeding bowl for him (so no whole bones for him either).

So the grinder will grind the bones up and then I don't have to give supplements and spend hours butchering a weeks worth of meat. Grinder, grinder, done! I'll be getting a large freezer at the same time. Since I go down to Gilroy, Ca often, GreenTripe.com is a hop away. I'll be buying a case of tripe from them as well as their beef organ blend.

My question is, how often do you feed tripe, and how much at a time? Can I just put a certain percentage in with their blend daily? Or is this a once a week thing?

Here's how much my dogs weigh:

HIppo (akita/rottie mix) currently doing great on 1.3 %: 115 lbs, Age: 8

Kody (Alaskan malamute) currently doing great on 1.3%: 105 lbs, Age: 7 or 8

Nibbles (pit bull): on 1.8%: 50 lbs, Age: 2.5

Thanks!
[notify]
Franklin

Barked: Fri Feb 19, '10 5:15pm PST 
We get a ground green tripe blend from a raw manufacturer and feed it 3-4 meals a week. When we give it, they get all green tripe -- it's not mixed into anything. Green tripe has a perfect Calcium-Phosphorous ratio but from what I understand it can be too rich for some dogs to have all the time. Then again there are dogs that eat green tripe for every meal. It just depends on your/your dog's preference. smile

Edited by author Fri Feb 19, '10 5:17pm PST

[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Fri Feb 19, '10 8:14pm PST 
Hippo, please refer to Crouton's green tripe thread for my experiences with raw green tripe. Short version: proceed with caution and feed in small quantities initially until you know how much your dogs can handle. Both Crouton and Tucker had incidents of vomiting soon after their first meal of raw green tripe. I certainly don't intend to stop feeding it, especially as I have five bloody pounds of the stuff from Hare Today.com, but I do intend to serve it in small quantities mixed with something else a bit more bland, from now on. However, your mileage may vary.
[notify]

Hippo

Barked: Fri Feb 19, '10 8:25pm PST 
Thanks Tucker! I just finished reading the thread. The Alaskan malamute love eating cow patties and horse crap he finds on the trail, so he should love tripe. I was going to mix in a very small amount (4-5%) into the blend's total weight per batch. So really, the dogs wont be getting more than 5% every day, and I'll go from there.
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 19, '10 8:31pm PST 
Try it out, see how it works with the dogs. It's awesome stuff. In the end, I wouldn't feed it as more than 5% of the overall diet no matter how much the dogs love it, or it seems to "do right by them" or what have you.

Mmmmm... Greeeeen Triiiiipe! big grin
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Fri Feb 19, '10 8:34pm PST 
Hope your guys enjoy it, Hippo! My dogs think it's yummy, for sure, and despite my initial fears, although it certainly isn't my favorite smell, the raw stuff smelled not nearly as bad as the canned that I'd previously been using.
[notify]