GO!

Raw Feeding Breeders??

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 7:29am PST 
So I'm on the hunt for Beagle breeders and was wondering how I'd find a breeder that feeds raw/no vaccs/etc. I've done a few google searches with no luck (well, maybe a BYB or two). Can anyone help?

I'm a part of the Rawfeeding yahoo group and just found some sites that list raw feeding breeders, but none of them breed Beagles.

Can someone help me or am I just asking for too much?

Thanks!
[notify]
Opie CGC

Luv-A-Pittie

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 8:43am PST 
I've come across quite a few breeder that feed raw but none that do no vaccines... since that would be a death sentence for a pup here. I'm all for limited vaccines but unlesss you intend to never let you pup leave the house and change into clean clothes and shoes in the garage before you walk in the house they need their puppy shots. Parvo is a miserable experience and surviving distemper is almost a miracle. I'm not sure where you are but here, and in most developed countries rabies is legally required.
[notify]
Maggie CTL1 RE CGC

Bar Hoppin'

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 8:57am PST 
Actually there are quiet a few Aussie breeders that are into natural rearing, so I am sure that there are some other breeders out there in other breeds.

The vaccine issue is something that causes controversy a lot of the time here on Dogster. I have even been told I don't love my dogs because I minimally vaccinate! Do what you feel is best and I do hope to someday own a NR dog myself!

I personally have searched around and haven't found anything on Beagle breeders through the NRBA (Natural Rearing Breeders Association), but maybe it will help you find something similar. Also check out dog shows in your area and ask around. Sometimes breeders rely on word of mouth as opposed to the internet.
[notify]

Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 9:05am PST 
I found this one on the BARF World website:

Shannon Ramberg
3126 Turner Road SE
Salem, Oregon 97302
nansbird1@aol.com
[notify]
Joey

Let's play- ball!!! **RAW- DIET RULES**

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 9:19am PST 
There is NaturalRearing.com w/ a list of Natural Rearing Breeders Directory(though no beagles)... http://naturalrearing.com/coda/breeders.html#landing
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 10:09am PST 
Opie, actually there are quite a few raw feeding breeders who also do no vaccines (except for rabies, of course!). Lately there have been a few discussions on the Rawfeeding yahoo group about vaccinations causing aggression issues etc, and that the best thing to do is let your [unvaccinated] pup play with other recently vaccinated pups/dogs....I'd explain more but am still learning about it, but many people do do it, that's for sure.

Tucker, do they breed Beagles? If so I will e-mail them, thanks!

And thanks Joey, but I already had that website smile
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 10:44am PST 
Wow. I was really surprised to see no listings for Beagles on this list:
http://lepusreg.tripod.com/NRB.html

You're right -- finding NR beagle breeders with internet searches that would turn up info for lots of other breeds seem to be few and far between! I'd keep trying to come up with contacts thru online raw feeding groups and the NR groups. You're definitely not "asking too much"! Beagles are such a popular breed I'm kinda surprised that there isn't more web presence for breeders who embrace the "NR" concept.

If looking for NR breeders specifically doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere after some more research, I'd start looking more generally at Beagle breeders for a good, responsible kennel. You might very well find a breeder who, say, raw feeds and does minimal vax who just doesn't really see the need to advertise the info. It will all come out when you interview them. Hopefully you won't have to "settle" for a kennel that has "just" been feeding really good food and following really great breeding practices for generations! If you do, it wouldn't be the end of the world, though. wink You'll be able to get that pup started on a great raw diet and a healthy life style at 10-12 weeks old or so when you get to bring him/her home! There are certainly worse ways to start life.

Good luck! I think it's really great that you're concerned with finding a breeder who's been following a "proper" lifestyle for the dogs in their breeding program and can pass on generations of good health to your pup.
[notify]
Cyan

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 11:40am PST 
While I ahve nothing against raw feeding, I would not even consider a breeder who refuses to vaccinate their dogs. A vaccination may cause a bad reaction in one dog out of a hundred thoughsand, but parvo, distemper, etc. kill thousands of dogs every year. And vaccinations cost a lot less then treating said diseases.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 12:55pm PST 
Thanks Meridian. I am already speaking with a few different breeders and as far as I know most of them feed kibble and vaccinate regularly. We're planning to also get a GSD in the future and there are plenty of breeders who feed raw. I'm just as surprised as you are that there are no raw feeding beagle breeders.
[notify]
Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 5:32pm PST 
I don't know how letting an unvaccinated puppy play with vaccinated puppies will protect them. That is faulty thinking.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5