GO!

Raw for Large Breed Puppies?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Fri Jan 8, '10 1:35pm PST 
I should be getting a curly-coated retriever pup in late Feb, and have been reading up on a raw diet. It certainly passes the common sense test, and I think I could get over the ick factor, but I'm concerned about not providing adequate nutrition for a large breed puppy. I planned on feeding Blue Buffalo for large breed puppies, because it's formulated to control the growth rate and prevent potential bone/joint problems associated with rapid growth. How do you ensure the same thing with raw?
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Fri Jan 8, '10 1:52pm PST 
A raw diet follows a guideline which suggests 10% bone. This gives a proper calcium balance. The amount of overall food you feed a puppy is greater than an adult, but the 10% bone along with 80% meat, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ/s are still followed, ensuring all the correct nutrients in correct amounts and won't lead to rapid growth from too much calcium.

P.S. Really the only differences between puppy food and adult are increased protein, fat, and vitamins and minerals except calcium. But a raw food diet is all balanced for a puppy or adult, it's just a matter of how much to feed overall.

Edited by author Fri Jan 8, '10 1:56pm PST

[notify]
Sheila, MAD,- MR, MS,- JCH-Br, S

I'm so glad the- puppy is- gone....!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 8, '10 1:55pm PST 
Congratulations! for getting a puppy, and for doing such good research beforehand applause

In short: there's dogs of all shapes and sizes in this Forum, my own are around 50lb each, and I have not yet heard that their diet varies based on the size of the dog.

Or let me correct: their diet only varies in regards of the size of bones and pieces of meats. A Chihuahua might have issues with a big turkey bone and probably prefers a chicken wing. But other than that, I don't think it matters.

Good luck!
[notify]

Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Fri Jan 8, '10 2:00pm PST 
I just checked my email and had this link in there
Puppies first raw meal I thought you'd like to read it!
[notify]
Reyna

Don\'t Reyna Me- In

Barked: Fri Jan 8, '10 2:17pm PST 
Reyna has been on raw since 6 weeks old at her breeders, and she's now 8 months old and simply gorgeous (I really need to update her pics). I've never once second-guessed feeding her raw, because the results in her are amazing. I wish I had raised Bam on raw.

Edited by author Fri Jan 8, '10 2:17pm PST

[notify]
Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Sat Jan 9, '10 12:47am PST 
totally off-subject but... OMG POINTYPUPPIES!! Thanks for posting that link, Jessica cloud 9
[notify]
Marlowe, RN,- CGC

Seize life by- the big stick!

Barked: Sat Jan 9, '10 7:49am PST 
I'm the OP (finally got some puppy pics uploaded!). Reyna is such a gorgeous dog, but she's still a young dog. Does anyone else on here have a large-breed dog that was raised on raw as a puppy, and is now at least 2-3 years old? Both Marlowe's parents are OFA'd, but hip dysplasia scares the crap out of me, and I'm worried that 10% bone might be too much calcium, or that I'll accidentally go over the 10% and cause problems. The kibble just seems "safer" to me until the puppy's past most of its growth. I'm looking for evidence to the contrary, because I really do like the idea of a raw diet.

Thanks!
[notify]
Reyna

Don\'t Reyna Me- In

Barked: Sat Jan 9, '10 8:22am PST 
Reyna's sire and dam were both raised on raw as well. No orthopedic problems. Bam-Bam's littermate sisters were also raised on raw, and one has had some sort of testing (not sure if it was prelims or just a vet xray to see how things were), but her femoral head sat nice and tight in her hip sockets.
Calcium does not cause hip problems or other issues. While diet can contribute to hip dysplasia and elbow problems, these are mostly genetic. Calcium causes growth disorders like pano, knuckling, bowing, etc. These issues would be noticeable to me right now or throughout her growth. None of the above has happened.
If you keep the bone content at 10% of their diet, then they are receiving the right amount of calcium.

Edited by author Sat Jan 9, '10 8:24am PST

[notify]
Marlowe, RN,- CGC

Seize life by- the big stick!

Barked: Sat Jan 9, '10 8:40am PST 
Thanks Reyna! big grin
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Sat Jan 9, '10 11:12pm PST 
We have a pointer, not sure if you would consider him a large breed but he has been RAW feed 100% since he was 4 months old.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2