GO!

Oily, smelly coat.....too much fat?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Remington

Queen of the- couch

Barked: Sun Oct 25, '09 7:59am PST 
My dog Remy always has an oily, greasy, feeling coat and she seems to have an odor. None of my other dogs have this problem. Even my Lab, Feather, who is supposed to have an oily coat to be waterproof, doesn't have this problem. My dogs eat raw, but not always prey model. They do on occasion get The Honest Kitchen or Sojos with meats mixed in. But, for the most part, it is prey model, Meat/bone/organs. I am wondering if she is getting too much fat or something. Anyone else?

She is a mutt but our best guess at her breed is some kind of hound mix. She doesn't have a coat like my beagle though, Remy's fur is softer. If you look at her pictures on her page you can guess at her breed too. Maybe she has some spaniel in her?

Anyway, I must also say that she is my dog that is always hungry, always has a growly tummy, and the only one who gets grain because of it. If I don't add some slow-to-digest grain like oatmeal or quinoa to her food, she is hungry, starving actually, 4 hours later. Could it be the grain? I have never heard of grain making them oily or greasy, maybe smelly though.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Jenn and Remysmile
[notify]
Ando

Shepherd Savior.

Barked: Sun Oct 25, '09 9:30am PST 
I would take her to the vet. Such a greasy coat could be some sort of health/thyroid condition that needs treatment. For now though, I would give her a good bath with some oatmeal shampoo and use a good rubber scrubbing brush to clean her skin.
[notify]
Remington

Queen of the- couch

Barked: Sun Oct 25, '09 10:29am PST 
She has been to the vet, her blood work is all normal. No thyroid condition, which is what I thought. I have sought advice from the vet, whom I love and trust, and from a nutrition expert at the all natural dog food store. The vet said to feed her a kibble for skin and coat health, which I will NOT do. The nutrition expert told me to liken Remy to a fish tank. When the water in the fish tank is off balance, the glass gets grimy and green, she said something must be "off" in Remy nutritionally and her coat is the outward sign. Then she sold me two huge expensive bottles, one a probiotic and one a digestive enzyme, neither has helped.

I have gone from tons of baths, even medicated ones with no good results to just letting her be and natural oils and stuff and still no good result. I have also tried letting her swim in the ocean since I heard or read somwhere that the salt water would be good for her. Still nothing helps. I can only attribute it to her diet. I was thinking too much fat. When you pat her, your hands have a film on them and she is stinky.
I don't know what to do.....
Jenn and Remy
[notify]

Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Sun Oct 25, '09 10:56am PST 
I feed my dogs the fat on their meat and don't have that problem. Could be genetics? Do you know about Remi's dog parents or littermates? If you got from a breeder, you could call and ask?

There's a recent thread about gorge/fasting and satisfying RMBs. Maybe Remi would get less hungry that way? The article says that if a dog is fed a lot of meals throughout a day, it actually makes them more hungry.
[notify]
Remington

Queen of the- couch

Barked: Sun Oct 25, '09 11:03am PST 
Thanks Jess, Remy was found tied to a tree in the woods pregnant, so no history except abuse and abandonment. I know it must have to do with the grains, no one else here gets grains. I just don't know how to keep her full without making her fat. She is literally always starving and then will eat weird things. I just think her diet has to be the root of her coat problems. I am also now thinking that grains are sugary and could contribute to yeast overgrowth. Maybe this is yeast?

Jenn and Remy
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Sun Oct 25, '09 11:10am PST 
Ohhh.. Whenever I hear a story like that (abuse and abandonment) all I can think is how lucky she is to have her new pawrent.

Do you think she is really hungry, or do you think it's behavioral? My dogs I call "scavengers" on our walks, I swear they can drive me crazy! "Leave it" command works, but only if I say it in time bol!!

But I can kind of tell it's behavioral because they aren't drooling, panting, or showing other anxiety, and they can be distracted from their quest for garbage. I don't know how else you can tell thoughthinking
[notify]
Summer

Have a Nice Day!

Barked: Sun Oct 25, '09 12:12pm PST 
don't mean to alarm you, but dry/greasy coat issues and appetite issues are possible symptoms of thyroid issues. You might want to run a thyroid full panel and see if she is suffering from an overactive or underactive thyroid. hope you manage to find out her issues.
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Sun Oct 25, '09 5:57pm PST 
From the looks of her pictures, I'd guess there is a lot of Beagle is that darling little dog. Check out 'Lemon Beagle'. My dad's Beagles all had a certain body odor and looked more oily than other dogs. A Beagle is lot like a Lab in that they think they are never full. Add that to the fact that food probably wasn't a regular part of her life in the past, you have a compulsive overeater on your hands. I have one, too. Little Moira is a BC/Lab mix who was starving. She can't get full. I just ignore her or offer her a toy. She'll get a drink of water and go on her way when she thinks she's hungry.

Moira also smells more easily and needs many more baths than Lily. They eat the same food. I do like Tropiclean Oxymed shampoo and rinse for deep cleaning (the alpha hydroxl acids lift out dirt, oils and dandruff.) . It seems to clean better than regular shampoos. A human with dandruff seems to have oiler skin - why not a dog?

I am not a fan of lowfat unless the dog has pancreatic problems. Fat is a dog's source of energy according to a BC book I read when I got Moira. Five is too young for reduced fat food.
[notify]