GO!

Parasites in raw Deer?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

K-10 Von- Canein

K-10. 1 step- above a k-9

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 11:32am PST 
I have heard from posters today that deer and wild game must be frozen for 30 days prior to consumption due to parasites. I have studied it, and have found that in colorado, there are no parasites that can be transfered from deer to dogs. In Oklahoma, there are some 27 parasites in deer. None can be transfered from deer to dog. Is this not the case everywhere? I've shot over 30 deer, legally, and have never hesitated to give my dog the liver, or other meat directly after the kill. I'd sure like some more factual data on why people seem to think that the 30 day rule is important with raw deer.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 1:01pm PST 
Some examples are tapeworm, abdominal worms, chronic wasting disease... note that most sources say "meat is fine to consume" but also keep in mind they are referring to meat cooked for human consumption. As far as chronic wasting disease there haven't been any cases in dogs but again, why risk it.... I guess I don't really see what the big deal about freezing it for a bit is. Parasitic transfer from deer to dog is not well-researched like it is for people, so I would rather just freeze it, it's not like it's a pain or anything.

If you don't want to, then I say don't... personally I think most of the time it's totally fine and they can handle it, especially based on the kinds of dead gross things dogs pick up and eat outside, but I'm not going to just pass that around as advice myself generally. I'm also not just referring to wild deer but to all wild game -- so something like trichinellosis would be a concern with wild omnivorous animals even though it doesn't really apply to deer. Hope this helps.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/FoodSafety/components/itsnogame/wil dgamecookery.pdf

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/mammals/deer/disease.ht m

Edited by author Sat Sep 19, '09 1:03pm PST

[notify]
K-10 Von- Canein

K-10. 1 step- above a k-9

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 1:07pm PST 
Thanks for the quick answer. I have been researching, and found that cattle have more parasites than deer could ever have, and have to wonder how someone can buy a slice of fresh beef for their dog and not think twice about it, but become nervous feeding a slice of fresh deer. Because deer are not kept on a filthy feedlot prior to slaughter, their chances of parasite problems are much less.
[notify]

NuNu - {Nubert- Nubinsky}

adopt a shelter- dog!!

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 1:28pm PST 
either way i wouldn't take the chance... this year will be my first year hunting and im planning on feeding the pooches quite a bit of deer meat and i plan on freezing it before feeding (a month does seem a bit long to me)... even when i catch fish for them to eat i do it... i just dont want to take the chance... im not going to tell you your horrible for feeding your pooches fresh raw its just a precaution i take... i guess its how you learn about raw feeding and maybe even where in the country you live... idk why but if i was hunting in CO i wouldn't feel as uncomfortable feeding it fresh as if i was hunting in jersey lol

but in the same thought, in colorado i didnt have my dogs on heartworm or flea/tick but when i lived in NJ,PA and how VA my dogs are on those meds... i guess certain parts of the country have different parasites to worry about
[notify]
Bandit

Life is GOOD:)

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 1:34pm PST 
I have fed our dogs the organs, legs, and extra pieces before making hamburger meat out of them from our deer. We too go deer hunting and every deer we have killed has been just fine. In rabbits you can see the actualy parasites in there livers and other organs, so when I clean out deer I look for the same things. If you spot weird lines/squiggles (not vains) in there organs then they probably have had some kind of parasite. If the deer you kill look bright and alert before you killed them and once you butcher them nothing looks out of the ordinary then in my opinion everything is great. Deer are pretty healthy sound animals. I can't remember what state it was but they had a deer desease going around that was killing the deer but it didn't harm people that ate the deer. Like you said deer are not exposed to anything like the beef you buy from the grocery stores. Dogs have a much higher tollerance to things like that then humans do.

If coyotes, wolfs, mountain lions, and bob cats can all eat them without having a problem I see nothing wrong in feeding my dog it. wink
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 1:35pm PST 
Most beef that you find at the grocery store has been previously frozen at some point before it made it to the styrofoam tray. Also they are often treated with antibiotics and dewormers (if we're talking about feedlot, factory farming type situations).

[eta] Wolves, coyotes etc certainly do eat it and thrive... but do not assume that 0% of them don't also ever have worms.

Edited by author Sat Sep 19, '09 1:36pm PST

[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 1:38pm PST 
PS Meridian posted a nice response to this topic in the "strange question" thread, check it out.
[notify]
Bo

Mr. Cuddly- wuddly bear..

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 2:02pm PST 
Here we go.

wild game

How can I prevent trichinellosis?
Cook meat products until the juices run clear or to an internal temperature of 170 o F.
Freeze pork less than 6 inches thick for 20 days at 5 o F to kill any worms.
Cook wild game meat thoroughly. Freezing wild game meats, unlike freezing pork products, even for long periods of time, may not effectively kill all worms.
Cook all meat fed to pigs or other wild animals.
Do not allow hogs to eat uncooked carcasses of other animals, including rats, which may be infected with trichinellosis.
Clean meat grinders thoroughly if you prepare your own ground meats.
Curing (salting), drying, smoking, or microwaving meat does not consistently kill infective worms.
It was a Goverement PDF file and wouldn't let me paste it.
[notify]
Bilbo NAP- NJP CGC

All the virtue- of men without- his vices

Barked: Sun Sep 20, '09 1:46pm PST 
My cousin had a foster dog that got worms from eating off a deer. Poor thing couldn't poo, it was skinny as heck, could barely keep any food in...I'm not willing to take the chance when I start raw. -shrugs- Better to be safe then sorry.
[notify]