GO!

Ok.... Buddy just ate his own poop....

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Thu Sep 3, '09 9:54am PST 
silenced I'm not 100% positive but we were all outside running aroung chasing the ball. Buddy went over to do his business which was very nice looking, compact and firm. He walked away and then squatted again to get out a small bit that he missed and he turned around and I saw him eat something. The poop wasn't there anymore. I'm pretty sure Buddy ate a small amount of his own poop.........

This has never happened before, ever. He's about 3 years old and he never had any interest in eating dog feces (cat's are the delicacy!) especially his own! I know from previous research that this can be from vitamin deficiencies. He is showing no other signs that I am aware of. He's more energetic than ever, very silky smooth fur, good coloring in his gums, etc.

As everyone knows I've been in a pinch recently (with relief coming this weekend) and doing the BEST I can. I've been feeding mostly chicken for about 2-3 weeks but have added in turkey, fish, beef and things like duck gizzards, beef/pork heart, eggs, pork feet, duck feet, etc in small amounts here and there that I had stocked up on when I had more money. Should I be concerned about the Coprophagy??

Sorry about asking so many questions lately!!
[notify]
Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Thu Sep 3, '09 10:55am PST 
Watch for it turning into a pattern...

In the mean time, increase the portion of red meat and give him a nutrient dose -- organs, Omega 3, a doggy multivitamin if you have one.

You mentioned duck? Duck is an expensive white meat, and an economic downturn it may benefit the dog to use that cash on red meat. I don't know how the market price trends in your area, but in mine duck gizzards are around $2/lb.+, whereas cheap beef and pork cuts can go as low as $1/lb. That's twice as much valuable red meat for half as much poultry for us. Duck feet are $1.49/lb. while chicken feet are only $1.19/lb.

If you don't supplement Omega 3 other than by egg, it could behoove you to throw in a fish oil supplement: salmon, anchovy, or/and sardine.

Is Your Animal Deficient In A Key Nutrient? Shirley's Wellness Cafe

blue dog
[notify]
Buddy

Barked: Thu Sep 3, '09 11:11am PST 
Great info Josie, thanks. I bought a small amount of duck gizzards a few months ago when I was doing good on money. I had just found a new asian market and was excited!! I only bought like a pound of it, so it wasn't a huge investment. I was just trying to get some good variety. I got a bit of money so I will go buy some beef tomorrow and I do buy fish (canned and whole raw). I'll keep a good eye on him, thanks!
[notify]

Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu Sep 3, '09 11:55am PST 
Maybe it just smelled good. Moira used to eat hers or any other she could find. A few minutes ago, I found her nosing around a dried up piece I missed outside. She didn't eat it. dancing

You've done Buddy no harm. Think of the dogs on Ol' Roy. Buddy is a lucky furry.
[notify]
Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Fri Sep 4, '09 10:17am PST 
The worry is, since we are balancing our own dog food we want to make very sure it doesn't go out of balance. "Most" people rely on computer formulations and synthetic nutrients to form a diet, but it pretty much works. If any potential symptom like coprophagia crops up, a raw feeder should take a hard look at their diet.

I rebuke raw myths and feed raw bones, I refuse to over-medicate, I won't flip out at a dog skirmish or behavioral quirk, but I just can't take a blasé faire attitude toward red flags.

blue dog
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 4, '09 10:43am PST 
That's funny i was getting to say the same thing. M y dog trys to do the same thing we have to watch her. I don't have any answers. Good Luck on the hard times you are having.hug
[notify]
Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Fri Sep 4, '09 10:54am PST 
I don't necessarily think that coprophagy stems from nutrient deficiencies. Dogs like eating things that taste good, and for some of them that means poop. Mine won't eat dog poop, but cat or rabbit poo is fine dining.

If it were me, I'd just follow the dogs around with the pooscooper and take away his opportunity to snack at will. It might not hurt him to eat it, but it's still not a habit I'd let him indulge in simply due to our human discomfort with the idea...
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Fri Sep 4, '09 6:32pm PST 
Dogs eat poop, it's what they do wink

It can be bad if they do it often, but a little bit every once in a while is normal.

Prior to a raw diet My dog Skip would follow Tessa around and eat her poop, now that he is on a raw diet he rarely ever does it.

No reason to panic.
[notify]
Buddy

Barked: Fri Sep 4, '09 7:58pm PST 
Thanks for the help! I have been watching Buddy and he hasn't done it since, thankfully.

Josie, what does this mean? "but I just can't take a blasé faire attitude toward red flags." ??
[notify]
Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Fri Sep 4, '09 8:42pm PST 
You can drive yourself nuts looking for red flags everywhere. A single episode of nabbing a poo-snack doesn't mean your dog is dying or suffering from a mineral deficiency.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2