GO!

Blue Ridge Beef

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Maya

It's mine!!!

Barked: Fri Jul 17, '09 4:36am PST 
OK, in an attempt to move closer to a Raw-only diet, I am giving Blue Ridge Beef mixes a try. I currently feed my girls (10lb Chin) grain-free kibble in the mornings and NV medallions in the evenings. The owner of the pet food shop loves the Blue Ridge product and says that it is more economical than switching to NV frozen so I'm giving it a try. The NV medallions are so easy to feed...no measuring required!! So, I'm a little confused about how to handle the frozen log that Blue Ridge sells.

Also, is the 2% of body weight per day or per feeding? It sure doesn't look like a lot of food even though I have little ones to feed!

Does anyone have experience with this product? I'd love some tips!
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Fri Jul 17, '09 5:45am PST 
dancing Looks like you live somewhere not too far from me happy dance

Chances are there isn't going to be anyone else who's used it, it is only sold in a small area... But I have, I got 10 pounds of ground tripe for like $.50 a pound and I got 2 pounds of ground quail.. I was very happy with it.

What I would do as far as serving is thaw it out and weigh out a portion then put it in a muffin pan, each serving in one of the "cups".. Then once it freezes let it thaw for about 10 minutes so they are easy to get out.. It might be easier to use a "mini" muffin pan, which ever works better for you.

And yes, you would still go with the 2-3%

Edited by author Fri Jul 17, '09 5:47am PST

[notify]
Maya

It's mine!!!

Barked: Fri Jul 17, '09 6:27am PST 
Thanks, Tessa Sue! Is it safe to thaw and then refreeze raw meat? I love the muffin tin idea.
[notify]

Maya

It's mine!!!

Barked: Fri Jul 17, '09 6:35am PST 
Just answered my own question...it looks like it is OK to refreeze meat if it is still cold and has been thawed less than 3-5 days in the fridge.
[notify]
Dakota

Barked: Fri Jul 17, '09 6:45am PST 
I have used it but stopped becauseI was worried about the charcoal that is in it.
[notify]
Dakota

Barked: Fri Jul 17, '09 6:48am PST 
Oh and this is what I did with the frozen chubs of chicken and bone-- Koty gets a little over a pound a day so I would take a 5 lb chub and semi thaw it. then I would use a sharp knife to cut it in half to get two 2.5 lb chubs. Then I cut each half in half and that would be a days worth of food.
[notify]
Sebastian

Wake me up for- dinner

Barked: Fri Jul 17, '09 5:56pm PST 
we live in wv and use blue ridge for the tripe and liver. my boys have done great on it! consider yourself lucky that youve found such a great economical source!
[notify]

Barked: Sat Dec 14, '13 6:48am PST 
First, we feed our 2 English Cocker Spaniels Blue Ridge Beef products exclusively for main meals. I've found it to be a superior product and the dogs just love raw feeding.

I would not mix the raw meat with any commercial dry or wet dog food, period!

Invest in a book called Raw & Natural Nutrition for Dogs by Lew Olsen, PhD. It will explain how to feed raw and provide you with the "reasons" including some quick canine anatomy lessons on the dogs digestive system (they are not "little, furry, people"). Also, she explains supplements you need and those that you do not need.
At least feeding raw diets that you put together, you don't have to worry about recalls, where and what is in your dogs food and where they came from.

I wish it was this easy to feed ourselves!
[notify]
Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Thu Dec 19, '13 7:25am PST 
I am skeptical about any raw food that is marketed for pets because if there was nothing wrong with it why wouldn't it be sold in the grocery store? However at the same time there is no way I could afford to feed my big dogs beef without a product like this and I'm thinking it has to be at least as good as kibble. I live in CT and have purchased Blue Ridge lean beef and natural mix from a local dealer.

Your thread prompted me to do a google search and I have no idea how true this is but a thread on dogfoodadvisor.com says that Blue Ridge is connected to Lea-Way Farms which is a collection facility for dead, diseased and dying animals. Also it is denatured with charcoal because the meat has been condemned for human consumption and it lessens the chance that it could ever make it into the human food supply chain.

Edited by author Thu Dec 19, '13 7:26am PST

[notify]