GO!

Starting Honest Kitchen Raw Food

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Allie

Barked: Mon Jun 1, '09 1:52pm PST 
Hi. I currently feed one of my dogs canned food, since I've had a lot of problems with food sensitivities/allergies. I'm not quite to the point of wanting to feed raw or even homecook, but I AM thinking very seriously of using Honest Kitchen or Sojos. Both contain raw, deyhydrated food. The instructions are very explicit about introducing small amounts when beginning to feed new food. I assume that it won't be a problem doing this with canned food, but I just wanted to ask - will it be problematic? From what I've read, kibble and raw should not be combined, but is it also not advisable to combine canned with raw because of differing digestion rates?

Also, if I choose to feed the Honest Kitchen in the morning and some canned at night, is that ok? I assume it is, since at least a few dogsters do raw in one meal and kibble the next; however, Joey seems to have a sensitive stomach, so I need to be careful.

I DO plan to use probiotics during the switch.
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Mon Jun 1, '09 1:58pm PST 
I feed Sojos to Bailey currently but have used HK in the past as well. I used the Preference so I could add in my own raw meats but have seen the other formulas with meat already included.

I would say that feeding a meal of HK in the Am and a canned meal in the evening should be fine. I would just make sure to space the meals out a bit. I know it is recommended 12 hours, but Bo eats a totally raw breakfast and a kibble dinner and it is only about 8-10 hours apart and he is fine. He does have an iron stomach though, so use your best judgement with your dog.

I added small amounts of Sojos to Bailey's food for a few days and then went fully to Sojos. She was already having stomach issues so I thought it couldn't hurt. She handled it well. I took about a week to transition.

I like HK and I really like Sojo's. Good luck.
[notify]
Allie

Barked: Mon Jun 1, '09 3:13pm PST 
Thanks Mr. Bojangles. I got a couple samples of Thrive by HK, and just mixed it up tonight. It smells so much like spinach, I wondered if Joey would like it. I only mixed a tablespoon with his canned food, so it's too soon to know if he finds spinach as abhorable as I do, but I'm hopeful it will work out well for him. I like the idea that it uses no grains or carbs at all except quinoa, which apparently has a low probability of causing reactions in dogs who can't tolerate grains. I almost got Sojos, because it seemed more chunky, but I was a little afraid of the Sojos Complete because it contained eggs. I sometimes think Joey can't tolerate milk/lactose, and eggs just sound like they might be something he'd have trouble with. I forget if the "add your meat" varieties contain eggs; if not, maybe I'll try those. I wouldn't mind adding some chicken.

Maybe I should give him the canned for breakfast (8 or 9) and the raw at dinnertime (5 to 6) so that they're a long time for the canned to be digested?

So you like the Sojos better? Is it less soupy and more substantial than the HK when mixed up? What does your pup say about it versus HK?
[notify]

Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Mon Jun 1, '09 7:38pm PST 
Hi, we have fed Honest Kitchen every once and a while. It actually sets up quite nicely if you use the suggested amount of water and let it sit for the full time listed on the label before feeding it to your dog ( I think it is 10 mins) and then stir well. It needs that time to absorb all the water and plump up. You don't want that to happen inside your dog. wink It is rather green, but my dog never seems to mind.

I think that transitioning is different for every dog. I can swtich between HK and other foods for Byron without a transition. But like I said, it is different for every dog and food. If your dog is sensitive, this might result in explosive diarrhea. shock Not so nice.

One thing to remember about HK and SJ is that they are dehydrated foods. That means that they are cooked lightly. They are not raw, no matter what the companies would like you to believe. However, they are much better than canned. wink Best of luck.
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Barked: Tue Jun 2, '09 8:14am PST 
I like the Sojos a little better because it is actual pieces of food that I can recognize. The HK seemed more like glop. Bo will eat his own poo if I let him, so he isn't particular. When the Sojos sets up it looks more palatable to me, but again, thats me and the dogs could care less.

The Sojo's smells very similar to stuffing mix, I don't know why, and it makes my stomach growl when I mix it up. Weird, I know!

Both are good but I just like the Sojos slightly more.
[notify]
Cali- Cheyenne

I'm from- Arkansas!! (her- excuse)

Barked: Tue Jun 2, '09 8:29am PST 
I like the look of Sojo's (grain free) so much more than HK but the only problem I have is that I noticed the Sojo's goes right through their system, which makes me believe what I read on how dogs do not tolerate veggies too good. Their poops on Sojos are smelly and messy, while plain raw their poops are tiny, and I have 3 large dogs!!! I use Sojos once/twice a week to clean them out, LOL
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Barked: Tue Jun 2, '09 9:56am PST 
Baileys poo on Sojos is formed and has bits of the veggies in it too. But she has cancer and her body rejects kibble, which was making her sick constantly. She would projectile vomit and have constant diarrhea on the kibble. Since the switch to Sojo's we have had only one day where her tummy was off in three weeks. And she didn't get sick, just wasn't too keen on eating her breakfast. That is a HUGE improvement for her.

When I give it to Bo occasionally he does poo the bits too. It bulks his poo up too.

On the HK he just pooped green.
[notify]
Fifi

Barked: Wed Jun 10, '09 9:59am PST 
I love the Honest Kitchen. It's balanced and easy to prepare. My mom mainly cooks homemade food for me, but when she doesn't have time, HK is great!
[notify]