GO!

How to Sanitize Beef Bones?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Atlas

An offense to- the Gods.

Barked: Sun Apr 5, '09 12:09am PST 
A friend gave me a box of beef bones from a quarter cow that she bought and I would like to slow roast them so they are sanitized enough for Atlas to drag around the house, but not cooked enough to splinter. I buy him Free Range Moo Bones that use this process and haven't had a problem with splintering and he knaws on them constantly.
Has anyone done this? Would you share any wisdom you have gleaned and any recipes?

Thanks!
[notify]
Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Sun Apr 5, '09 10:04pm PST 
I do not feel comfortable giving my dogs any cooked bones, no matter how 'safe' the cooking process is. But that's just me. I'd be more inclined to get those cow-bones cut into 5" sections and letting him have at 'em one at a time, then take the bones away after he's gleaned whatever gristle/marrow off.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sun Apr 5, '09 10:35pm PST 
I agree with Rocket.
[notify]

Lucky *angel*

Barked: Mon Apr 6, '09 5:05am PST 
If you are set on processing them, I reccommend washing with vinegar or grapeseed oil instead of cooking.
[notify]
Adlai

Let's Go!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 6, '09 5:23am PST 
Are they a marrow-type bone? I always just feed them rinsed off, but raw. If you cook them, all the marrow will melt, which is a big mess. And according to my dogs, the marrow's the best part! I am always surprised how neatly mine eat them!
[notify]
Atlas

An offense to- the Gods.

Barked: Mon Apr 6, '09 10:48pm PST 
Yes they are marrow bones. I'm just not too keen on him running around the house with them as is. As I stated in my original post I give him free range moo bones that are slightly roasted for sanitation and he has not had a problem. They are slow roasted in a way so that they don't crack or splinter, and believe me I have a chewer so I would know if they were dangerous by now.

I guess I could give it a try with them raw and see how it goes. I definitely don't want to overcook them on accident!

Thanks guys!
[notify]
Sirius- Padfoot- Black

Too clever for- Mom's own good!- :)

Barked: Tue Apr 7, '09 7:14am PST 
I give Siri marrow bones once in a while, and he's got some that he's been working on for months now. No problems. He just likes to gnaw, not power chew, so he's got his 'teddy bones' that he goes to sleep with. I've never sanitized them and there hasn't been a problem.
[notify]
Summer

Have a Nice Day!

Barked: Tue Apr 7, '09 7:58am PST 
When you "slow roast" anything tho, what you're essentially doing is stripping the moisture out of it, so really, you're INCREASING the propensity to crack and splinter. With all due respect, but whoever sold you the "slow roasted = no cracking and splintering" sold you a bunch of hooey.

There is no need to sanitize anything if you're keeping safe food practices and not giving the surface bacteria too much time to go to town on the piece of bone. I don't leave anything out longer than a couple of hours in room temperature. Oh, Summer's system could probably handle it, but why take chances like that? But for the most part, whatever comes from the market goes into the fridge at least for a day or two if I don't have time to bag and freeze immediately. That's enough for us. But seriously no need to sanitize anything if the food source is relatively safe.
[notify]
Henry CGC

i love the snow

Barked: Tue Apr 7, '09 8:43am PST 
maybe you could freeze them raw, then take it away after an hour? i like to do that because my dogs lose interest in a bone if it stays out all day.

Edited by author Tue Apr 7, '09 8:44am PST

[notify]
Darby - C.G.C.

The Anti-Lassie

Barked: Tue Apr 7, '09 9:04am PST 
To sanitize the bones, let Atlas lick and chew on them. Dog saliva has antibacterial agents in it. Why not let Atlas enjoy the bones outside?

And I agree with the others; cooking bones, even slightly, will make them brittle. This is a raw feeding site, and you are not going to find to many fans of processing here.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2