GO!

Are turkey gizzards meat or organ?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Moose

My master is- good and smart- (up movie)

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 10:07am PST 
There was a recent question / thread about organs and I saw that some where saying that gizzards were kidney and therefore organ. My understanding is that they were meat and I have 15 lbs in my freezer and have been feeding my dogs as part of their meat meals. I just want to make sure I am not overdosing them on organ.
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 10:12am PST 
Gizzards are NOT kidney! they are really a stomach, they help process the grain that poultry eat. Gizzards ARE meaty meat!
[notify]
Henry CGC

i love the snow

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 10:13am PST 
hi I was the one who said they could be mostly kidney. that's just in my own experience though when i buy gizzards, the only brand I see in the grocery store is Tison for chicken gizzards, and sometimes the package will say "gizzards mostly heart" or sometimes only say gizzards. When it doesn't say mostly heart, to me it looks mostly like kidneys, but I'll count it only half and half because I'm not sure what else is in there.
[notify]

Henry CGC

i love the snow

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 10:16am PST 
tessa I'm pretty sure gizzard are a mix of all the organs at least if you go by the brand i get..I've even seen liver. then sometimes it will only be stuff with green on it.

eta, wait maybe you're thinking of giblets??

Edited by author Wed Dec 3, '08 10:20am PST

[notify]
Moose

My master is- good and smart- (up movie)

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 10:47am PST 
Henry, I think you are thinking of giblets. The gizzards I buy are all the same, they look like lungs actually although I know that isn't what they are. They are very solid and meaty. I bought them from the meat company where I buy most of my dog meat.
[notify]
Henry CGC

i love the snow

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 10:54am PST 
but..but..it really does say "gizzards mostly heart"! and then when it's not saying that, there's these purplish whitish shiny kinds of parts... maybe it's just this brand??
sorry if i caused probs saying it's mostly kidney...it looks like kidney..thinking
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 10:59am PST 
Giblets would be a mix of organ, like what you find in a turkey.

Kidneys are "nested" in the back of all animals, that really don't remove them from chickens. If you get a chicken back you will sometimes see them, or if you get a chicken leg quarter that has the spine attatched it will be there in a little "socket". You can't really buy chicken kidneys.

It says "Giblets mostly hearts" because it is a mix of both, but the weight of hearts outweights the weight of gizzards.

Edited by author Wed Dec 3, '08 11:01am PST

[notify]
Henry CGC

i love the snow

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 11:03am PST 
i have all these notions about raw feeding things, and one by one find out i'm wrong. now where do i get these notions to begin with???!! naughty
i guess i figured it was common cause beef kidney is, in my grocerys. aw i have to recalculate a tiny bit now cause i counted them all as half kidneys. good thing you started this thread moose to correct my bad help lol.

thanks tessa!

Edited by author Wed Dec 3, '08 11:05am PST

[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 11:33am PST 
This is why it is so important to do your research before you start on a raw diet. Gizzards are often sold in packages with hearts. So the package might say "gizzards and hearts, mostly hearts", or it might just have gizzards and hearts in it. Gizzards are muscle meat, they are exactly as others have described and do not look anything like chicken kidneys.

Just in case anyone was wondering, hearts are also muscle meat. They have a lot of taurine, so are a good thing to include in the diet, but they count as muscle not organ.
[notify]
Henry CGC

i love the snow

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 11:36am PST 
i did do a lot of research and at first counted gizzards as muscle meats..but MINE seriously do look like kidneys!!!!!!!!!! and i swear there was a liver in there...or just a dark goopy muscle meat then...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3