GO!

Ok to mix raw and kibble?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Wed Sep 24, '08 1:38pm PST 
I've always read that you should not mix raw and kibble because they are digested at different rates?

I bought some premade raw this week and the instructions for switching say:

"Begin by mixing the Canine Formula into your dog’s previous food at a ratio that your dog will tolerate (you can start with as little as 1/4 Canine Formula to 3/4 of your pet’s former food).

Gradually increase the amount of Canine Formula until your dog accepts the raw diet without the addition of any kibble or canned food."
[notify]
Maya

Excited to have- a twolegger- sibling!!!

Barked: Wed Sep 24, '08 1:52pm PST 
That seems weird to me....the directions I mean. But there are some dogs who can tolerate eating raw and kibble together. I personally don't think it's a good idea because they digest at such different levels. If it were me I would just fast for a day and then just switch to the raw. That's how I switched Maya to raw, but her's wasn't prepackaged.
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Wed Sep 24, '08 3:42pm PST 
I don't recommend feeding them at the same time because of the digestion. That said, I did have to do it for several months when switching my cat Willow over. She never had issues with both being fed at the same time.

When I switched my pups and my other kitty over to raw, I just gave them kibble for breakfast and raw for dinner and they were fine.
[notify]

Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Wed Sep 24, '08 6:47pm PST 
When I was switching Brody, I just gave him a larger kibble breakfast and a small amount of raw for dinner. But I only did that for a few days because he had no digestion issues, so I just kind of jumped in.

There have been quite a few times since I started feeding raw when Brody ate kibble at about the same time he ate raw because he was at my mom's house and my mom has kibble lying around for her dog. We've never had any digestion issues.

I really don't know how true that is about not mixing raw and kibble because of digestion rates, but I was always too afraid to experiment with Brody wink When I think about it, it really doesn't make much sense to me, but I have no idea.
[notify]
Darby - C.G.C.

The Anti-Lassie

Barked: Wed Sep 24, '08 6:53pm PST 
I don't know how bad it would be for the dog, but it does sound like a recipe for some room-clearing farts! silenced
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Thu Sep 25, '08 6:04pm PST 
So do you think I should just give the raw alone at one meal instead?
[notify]
~Samson~

I've got places- to go & places- to pee!

Barked: Thu Sep 25, '08 6:11pm PST 
I went to a little seminar about Dog health and the instructor said that she fed "partial raw". I was confused about this as well shrug
[notify]
Henry CGC

i love the snow

Barked: Fri Sep 26, '08 7:10am PST 
my guess is they have to write that to help prevent liability?

or not discourage people from using their preraw anymore when the dog detoxes?

i would do the AM kibble and a tiny bit of raw in the PM then like another person said, i guess, but hey you can probably write to the company and ask them why?

Edited by author Fri Sep 26, '08 7:11am PST

[notify]
Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Fri Sep 26, '08 10:42am PST 
Most people suggest raw and kibble be separated into different meals - a good idea, especially if you haven't ever fed raw before.

When I first got into raw, I fed half and half with disastrous results, but now, almost a year later, I can feed raw and kibble at the same time and the dogs are just fine. For me, it was a matter of knowing my dogs, their digestive habits, and being willing to deal with the occasional splart caused by MY overzealous actions smile
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Fri Sep 26, '08 11:29am PST 
Yeah, I would do two different meals if I were you.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2