GO!

No poop today, how long till I worry?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 3:05pm PST 
I know that raw fed dogs may not poop everyday, but how long should they go before you start to worry? Bo had been pooping up to 4 times a day on kibble, down to twice a day since on raw, and today he didn't poo at all. Usually he poops every morning first thing and if he doesnt he definately will on our run. Still no poo!

Most of the bone he has been eating is cornish game hen and chicken (we havent found any other he can really handle without getting sick with vomiting).

I have never been so anxious for a dog to poop before!
[notify]
Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 3:12pm PST 
Mine have gone two days without a poop. Longer than that and I would start to get a little concerned. I would check the tummy and make sure it isn't hard ( could be a sign on blackage) or I might try feeding something to help make the system flow... One or two days I wouldn't be concerned.
[notify]
Maya

Excited to have- a twolegger- sibling!!!

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 3:58pm PST 
I agree with Stella one to two days is fine but any longer than that may be cause for concern. If your really worried about it give him something to get things flowing again.
[notify]

Daemion

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 5:05pm PST 
As long as they act normal and eat and drink I don't care how often they poop. As they get used to raw they get more and more efficient at processing it. I have so little stool in my run its insane considering how much food the entire group consumes.
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 6:06pm PST 
I am pretty nervous since he is such an efficient pooper. wink
The only boney meat he has had since Sunday was a chicken foot on sunday and a chicken wing today. The rest was organs or boneless meats.

Tomorrow is an organ day hopefully that will work for him!

He is acting fine, eating, drinking, no vomiting. Yesterday he pooped twice, once in the morning and then around noon.

Now I guess I am going to be on nervous poop watch.

Edited by author Tue Jul 8, '08 6:11pm PST

[notify]
Peanut CL1- TG1

Agility addict!

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 6:19pm PST 
Peanut often goes a day without pooping, no worries. wink
[notify]
ORSON the- DOGGE

if i had thumbs,- i'd rule the- world!

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 7:49pm PST 
Orson is a regular pooper, he goes up to 3 times a day. eek I know, that's alot for a raw fed dog but they are small nuggets usually.
Now Lolita can go for several days without pooping. If i see she hasnt pooped in a couple, i just leave out the bone for her meal and that will usually get things rolling. laugh out loud
[notify]
Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 7:56pm PST 
Storm will sometimes go for up to three days without pooping. I think that he's making up for all of the malnutrition suffered during his Allergy Years. frown

On another point - any idea why anything save chicken upsets Bo to the point of vomiting? How long have you been on Raw now?
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 7:59pm PST 
I would get concerned if he was TRYING to poop or ASKING to go out to poop, but no poop resulted. As long as everything else is fine, I wouldn't worry yet.
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 8:57pm PST 
I'd also think that maybe you're introducing new proteins too much too fast (perhaps causing his negative reactions..?)

When introducing a new protein, I'll buy some boneless meat of it and give them a teeny little bit the first day, slowly working up to (over about a week) a full muscle meat meal of new protein. Only after they're eating it that way with no issues will I introduce it in RMB form. big grin

Edited to fix spelling. smile

Edited by author Tue Jul 8, '08 8:58pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2