GO!

Any dogs with severe allergies???

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 9 of 9: Viewing entries 81 to 81)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Sep 15, '13 7:05pm PST 
Well there is ostrich, venison, rabbit, lamb, goat and fish left to try. Maybe buy a really small amount and only substitute an ounce per meal to try to limit reactions so if there is a bad reaction just maybe the recovery would take less time. 3 proteins is a good start but they are all grain fed with very poor fatty acid balances.

Are you sure the beef and pork weren't 'enhanced'? Sodium more than 100mg per serving? Have to put that out there!

I have played with nutritiondata and Max's requirements on using just chicken and except for the lousy fatty acid balance for grain fed chicken you can use hearts and gizzards for meat, feed chicken liver and bony chicken for the rest and have a pretty good diet. Heart is better than gizzard too. Bet it is the same for the other meats you can feed him. That means you would be buying twice the weight of gizzards and hearts as bony chicken, 20 pounds of gizzards and hearts with maybe 2 pounds of that being liver to 10 pounds of bony chicken to make up the 10% bone dogs need. Of course your dog may need more bone than that. No idea how easy that would be to find either. I know I see separate packs of hearts and gizzards at Mexican markets, perhaps a case can be ordered from your grocer?

If you find whole prey chicken, turkey and duck you are just fine! A perfect balanced diet right there.

Steve Brown has a raw chicken recipe in his newest book about Ancestral Diet. He is all about balancing the fatty acids properly and since grain fed chicken has a horrible balance might be worth looking into. I don't remember offhand if feeding just chicken and other poultry is okay with his method or not.
[notify]
  (Page 9 of 9: Viewing entries 81 to 81)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9