GO!

Raw chicken...

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  
Ra

Anything that- squeaks must- DIE!

Barked: Fri May 25, '07 2:28pm PST 
Hellos...
I've been following Henry's thread below about Raw feeding.. and I'm still quite skeptical about raw chicken.
Can someone offer advice or a kill-all on my fears about Salmonella? I have fed Ra raw eggs before, and they've only done him good, but I see raw chicken and want to either cook it or scald it in hot water before I offer it to Ra!
I've heard that as long as it is fresh, then no worries, but how does one KNOW for sure that raw chicken is good and okay to feed?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of feeding raw, I just can't seem to get past the fear. (I know that dog's handle bacteria differently than a human, I'm just unsure HOW they handle it differently. Should I be cautious? confused

Thanks everyone for understanding!
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Fri May 25, '07 2:34pm PST 
The acid in a canine's stomach is at a lower pH than ours (higher acidity). That, and the fact that food stays in their digestive tract for less time than ours helps them avoid getting sick from bacteria. It can still happen, but it's less likely.

The majority of Risa's diet is chicken (because chicken is cheap and a good source for RMBs). She hasn't gotten sick from it nor have I. As long as you don't plop your chicken on the counter for days and then feed it to your dog, your risk of salmonella is low. If you're really really concerned, thaw the chicken in the fridge and feed it straight from the refridgerator. Bacteria don't usually multiply when it's cold.

Good luck.
[notify]
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Fri May 25, '07 2:37pm PST 
Hi Ra! I second what Risa said. You may find it helpful to read this raw feeding myth, which is about the bacteria in raw food.
[notify]

Latte

Fetchaholic

Barked: Fri May 25, '07 2:46pm PST 
ITA with the responses you've read.

Minimize the risk by keeping the chicken in the fridge until you are ready to feed it. My guys have been eating raw chicken and have never gotten sick.

Also, note that the person who claimed that raw food caused her dog to get sick and nearly die has clarified her claim and IMO recanted. The Salmonella count was found to be low and the dog had eaten other things outside. The so-called Salmonella poisoning was cleared up quickly and there were other issues to address.

None of it made sense to me from the beginning but I was more concerned about the dog than I was the misdirected claim against raw feeding. Now, I'm more concerned about the many dogs who will be harmed because people would rather feed commercial pet food that is tainted from 4D meat sources because they believed the erroneous claim.

http://cbs4.com/special/local_story_143224354.html
http:/ /www.mflegal.com/petfoodlawsuit
[notify]
Ra

Barked: Fri May 25, '07 2:55pm PST 
Thank you all for understanding, I was worried I'd be met with a little hostility, I know a lot of people are worried and skeptical about raw feeding and fight it to the death.
I was just worried mainly about chicken.
I've fed Ra raw lamb, beef and eggs, but just got that itch when I thought about chicken.

Another question, How does a dog completely digest a bone? I've seen the videos of dogs eating a whole chicken leg, and once done gnawing, it goes slop! Down the hatch and that's it. Does the dog pass the bone? Or is it broken down as well?
I just want to know what to look for IF I ever let Ra eat a raw chicken leg..
[notify]
Takiah

Barked: Fri May 25, '07 3:00pm PST 
Dogs can get salmonella poisoning (I do think this was definitely the case on the other board for the initial health problem), but in general it is because something is not up to par with their immune system or digestive tract. I would never feed it to a dog with a compromised immune system, or would introduce it slowly and gradually to a dog with certain digestive issues or illnesses. For an average, healthy dog, though it is very rare to have a problem...in fact chicken seems to be the meat that is tolerated the best. Has your dog ever drank out of a dirty pond? That has a lot of e.coli and bacteria as well, but any healthy dog should not be effected (a human would get very sick). Once again, a dog with a compromised immune system may have troubles. If you can afford it, organic or free range chicken generally contains less salmonella. Too bad it is so expensive though!!

Dog`s generally can digest whole bone into a white powder...that is why raw poos may sometimes be white or turn white after a day or so. Initially, if a dog is not used to it, there may be small bits of undigested bone in their poo for the first few weeks.

Edited by author Fri May 25, '07 3:04pm PST

[notify]
Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Fri May 25, '07 3:13pm PST 
Ra, you've already gotten a bunch of great advice, so I thought I'd just add a personal tale:

I can be really germ-phobic. The reason that I stayed away from raw for so long was because of the bacterial concerns; I wasn't as worried about whether Storm could handle the food, but I was concerned about all of that lovely, long hair touching the raw chicken and him tracking bacteria into my apartment! Would I let him kiss me with that mouth?

After reading what the others have posted above (especially the bit about the saliva killing off the bacteria) I finally jumped into it. I'll tell ya, after hearing him crunch that chicken leg for the first time the excitement and joy I felt over feeding him something that he might not be allergic to squelched the fears I had about salmonella. I didn't even cringe when I let him lick my toes as a thank-you.

I feed him on his crate tray and clean it with a bleach wipe after every meal. I give the same treatment to my counters and wash my hands every time I handle the meat or an item that has touched the meat. Some of this is probably overkill (I hear that some clean with only vinegar and water), but it keeps me comfortable.
[notify]
Dobby &- Baxter

Mighty- Weiners!!!

Barked: Fri May 25, '07 3:25pm PST 
I am glad you are asking a lot of questions. I also have had no problems with raw. My boys have been fed raw ( not solely) since they were 12 weeks old. But right now since Baxter has food allergies the vet wants him on raw only. I buy the Natures Variety they get 2 oz of that and 1 oz of raw chicken breast. I keep it in the freezer cut and weigh it and put it in the fridge. This is the easiest for me and.... my dogs are happy, HEALTHY and thriving!!!
[notify]
Ra

Barked: Fri May 25, '07 3:33pm PST 
Thanks everyone!

Another question..
How long is too long to keep a chicken in the fridge? If I buy in bulk (say legs, because they are cheaper in bulk) and freeze the bag, can I feed them to him frozen? I currently feed him "heartcicles", frozen chicken hearts and he LOVES them.. or shoudl I not because the bones may become brittle?
Should I take out on leg at a time, for each meal? Or can I take out enough for two days' worth of meals and keep them refridgerated?
I'd rather feed them to him asap rather than let them sit in the bottom drawer of my fridge for a couple days..
[notify]
Agadore Spartacus

I'm a lover, not- a fighter!

Barked: Fri May 25, '07 3:42pm PST 
Hi!

Agadore and Beaner both eat raw- a little vennison when we can get a roadkill, but mostly chicken necks, which I get in 40 pound boxes for $14.00 a box. I have never worried about salmonella. I used to fry chicken every Sunday after church, and never once did anyone get sick from the raw chicken that touched the counter as I was preparing it to be fried.

My guys also get frozen deer carcass bones- they chew on them all day in the summer. Makes for a cool flossing. We've never had a problem.

Good Luck!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12