GO!

Raw and loose stool

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Patches

Shake it like a- Polaroid- picture!

Barked: Thu May 24, '07 8:56am PST 
Hey all, Patches started to get soft serve poop this past tuesday. He started raw on May 4th eating chicken quarters and his stool has been ok, no diarrea or watery poop. Parts of the stool turns white in 24hours, too much bone?

This is his 3rd week into raw eating chicken as the main protein source. The things that I did different the night before the soft serve was that I fed chicken back w/skin, thigh, heart, and gizzard.

Next morning and afternoon(tue) liquid poo. Ok, no problem too much gizzards, heart, and skin. I fed a drunstick for breakfest. Tuesday night I feed boiled chicken only.

Wednesday I fed him kibble for breakfest. Evening bowel movement loose but not softserve, because of kibble and boiled chicken i fed? I thought his stool was better so he got chicken breast bone-in and full skin for dinner.

This morning (thurs) Patches had melted softserve again. Could it be the raw chicken has started to give him soft serve 3 weeks into raw?

Should I fast him tonight or should I feed a chicken breast w/no skin? He is 10mnth old and I don't know if I should fast him, plus he is on the skinny side. I'm considering on feeding him Canidae tonight.

Could Patches be allergic to chicken? What's going on with his system? He has been calmer since going on raw but isn't lethargic. He has tons of energy while we're out, had fun at the dog park last night zooming all around.

Please let me know your thoughts.
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Thu May 24, '07 9:02am PST 
Are they urgent poos, like diarrhea? Or is the timing and frequency normal, just soft?

If he has only been getting chicken for 3 weeks, it might be time to switch to a new protein source, maybe red meat like pork or beef. Switch the protein source and see how that goes.

I also just had a recent "pumpkin miracle" with Romeo, so am suggesting canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) to everyone! BOL Just a few dollops with each meal might help even him out a bit.
[notify]
Patches

Barked: Thu May 24, '07 9:17am PST 
Diarrea maybe not, but Tuesday afternoon when I came home for lunch he was in a rush to take a poo, he usually wants loving before going outside. So it really isn't uncontrolable diarrea.

I think i've decided that turkey will be the next protein source. Beef and lamb might be too rich at this point. I'm not sure about pork, is that a fatty meat?

edit- Gio, you think that I should stay away from birds at this point?

Edited by author Thu May 24, '07 9:20am PST

[notify]

Eva the Diva- (2006-2014)- RIP

lost battle w/- SARDS 9/17/2014

Barked: Thu May 24, '07 9:24am PST 
We were having great luck...and now I am having the same issue. We are eating Natures Variety medalions, so we know we are getting a good mix with bone and sister Maddi's poos are still good, but all of a sudden....I had to let a loose #2 go in Mommies Lexus shh, and as soon as we got home....shock

Mine is definitely urgent diarrea...and we started around the first of the month too....

Edited by author Thu May 24, '07 9:27am PST

[notify]
Patches

Barked: Thu May 24, '07 9:37am PST 
Yeah, I was expecting first raw meal to be a diarrea attack but it wasn't. 3 weeks into raw, poop issues begins, heh shrug

Oh that's awful. I guess when you have to go, you have to go!

Edited by author Thu May 24, '07 9:38am PST

[notify]

Barked: Thu May 24, '07 9:39am PST 
will it pass? mommy just gave me immodium and I'm resting..

she really doesn't want to swich us off raw...
[notify]
Patches

Barked: Thu May 24, '07 9:44am PST 
My experiance with diarrea(uncontrollable) is that once Patches gets it out of his system which is usually in 12-24 hours he will not have another stool movement in 24hrs, nothing to poop since he pooped it all out.
[notify]

Barked: Thu May 24, '07 9:45am PST 
YIKES!!!! Mommy just found a little trickle of pale watery blood, next to a tiny bit of diarrea on our potty pad....
[notify]
Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Thu May 24, '07 10:08am PST 
All chicken is not created equal. Could be many things going on here. Perhaps Patches can handle quarters just fine, but the skin got him. Or, maybe it was the gizzard and heart. I'm fairly certian boiled boneless chicken didn't do anything to help. Could be that the back came from a different bird than the quarters? Does all the chicken you're feeding come with a label that says 'minimally processed' or something like that? Perhaps the back had saline or broth solution added?

Sooo many possibilities! If I were you, I'd take a step back. Feed the quarters that you know Patches does well on. Then, try 1 new thing. Maybe the new thing will be skin. Add a little at a time. Once he's fine with the skin, try a different cut of chicken- the back, perhaps. I think you tried too many new things at once and then compounded things by switching from raw to cooked to kibble. His poor system doesn't know what's going on! Every dog is different, and Patches may be one who notices the very slightest difference is fattiness or boniness even when the protein source is familiar. I'd err on the side of caution with this little guy.
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Thu May 24, '07 10:23am PST 
I'm not saying to stay away from birds all together, just maybe something different will help. BOL I guess it can only make it worse or better, there isn't much else it can do laugh out loud I know that chicken is relatively low on iron and some other minerals as compared to red meat, after getting just chicken for 3 weeks, it could be that the body is asking for something more. Just grasping for straws here, trying to think of what could be doing it.

I have also heard rumor that there is a delay period very often for dogs just starting on raw. After a few weeks, they have a temporary lapse to digestive issues (diarrhea or vomitting). I know someone on Dogster told me that ... but who, where or when has totally slipped my mind. Sorry for being so vague!

Generally, if poops are too soft, you add more bone to firm things up. It sounds like he is getting plently of bone with the chicken quarters and stuff.

I'm just rambling now, don't listen to me! BOL
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4