GO!

Raw Prey Model guidelines

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Madisyn

Its all about- me....Madie!!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '07 7:44pm PST 
Ok so I have a couple questions....
1-I was looking at the pet store and they have a package of medallions(whatever that is) and it has the recommended amount for lbs....if I just wanted to do in the AM maybe every 3 days along and continue w/kibble...how would I do that? And is that ok>?
2-Besides the pre-made stuff at the pet store what else is ok to feed and would be good for 1 complete meal?

Thanks in advance!
[notify]
Winnie

Anything you can- do I can do- cuter!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '07 8:22pm PST 
You should check out the raw forum! We'll be happy to answer your questions there.
[notify]
Georgie

I Hate Rain

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 10:36am PST 
wow summer - that was a great post! Especially the ratios - i always wondered what they were.
If i decided to make the leap to raw (and i'm slowly going that way right now) i'll definately use this as a starting point
[notify]

Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 10:51am PST 
Madisyn - you can probably get a lot of more in depth info on the raw forum, but I'll attempt a short answer for you:
1. Whatever the recommended serving is for medallions in a day - give her half. Then give her half of her kibble serving in the evening. For example, I feed Brody 2 medallions per day and I used to give him 1/4 cup of dog food per day. So if I were to split that up, I'd give him 1 medallion in the morning and 1/8 cup of dog food in the evening. And yes, that is okay to do. As long as you serve in separate meals, her digestive system should be able to handle it.

2. Instead of pre-made stuff, you could feed, for example, an RMB (raw meaty bone) and some liver. As a meal, I would give Brody 1/2 quail and about .5 ounce of liver. Figure out what you would need to eat for a week, divide by 14 (2 meals each day) and give that 1/14th of a meal. I think you are bigger than me so someone else could give you better advice. Brody is supposed to eat something like 14-20 ounces per week. We stick to the lower end because he got pretty fat a month or 2 into our raw adventure. As long as the meal has a little bit of bone, a little bit of organ, and a lot of meat - you are probably doing okay. Over time, you would want to vary your meat and organ sources, but if you are just feeding a raw meal occassionally, just liver would probably be fine.
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 8:01pm PST 
I love this thread. dog
[notify]
Tikka

This is me- ignoring you!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 6:34am PST 
Grrrreat post, Summer! dancing Here's an example of what the diet looks like:

Dog = 20 lbs
Percent to feed: 2.5%
Food amount per day = 8 oz

Ratio (80/10/10) - I usually round the number for ease.

Meat = 6.4 oz
organs = 0.8 oz
edible bone = 0.8 oz

You don't have to give each thing every day if you don't want to and most raw feeders do not. As long as the ratios average out over time, say in a week or a month. If you have the resources you can feed whole prey, like rabbit. But most of us use the frankenprey method.

Sample Diet Plan (basically what I do, but everyone is different) :

Sunday - Turkey Neck / Beef Liver
Monday - Meaty Lamb bone (bone not edible)
Tuesday - Meaty Lamb bone
Wednesday - boneless chicken breast
Thursday - Chicken quarter / Pork Kidney
Friday - Pork Shoulder
Saturday - Beef heart

Most raw feeders also supplement the basic plan with with additional items such as egg, fish and green tripe to ensure all nutrients are represented in the diet.
[notify]
Nika

It's ALL About- The Nika!

Barked: Wed Jul 9, '08 7:53pm PST 
This is Great Summer!!!
[notify]
Holly

google Marc- Emery!

Barked: Tue Jul 7, '09 5:07pm PST 
Dragging up an old thread becaue I'm confused!

and horrible with math.

Holly is about 40lbs (give or take a pound), so I did the math.

I don't think it's right, but if we went to the raw food diet (which we're uber close to doing) she'd be eating .8 pounds? That doesn't sound right to me. confused

Math is my downfall so if I'm way off don't laugh! I used google to help me lol
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Tue Jul 7, '09 5:12pm PST 
That's right Holly, if you are using 2%. Kolbe eats around that a day (she is 45lbs and I feed a little under 2%). I'd post a new thread in the Raw forum since this thread is pretty ancient, like pre-raw forum-days ancient... smile
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Tue Jul 7, '09 5:14pm PST 
Have you checked out the Raw Feeding Guide? Link

It will do the math for you if you have Excel.

.8 could be right depending on what percentage you plan on starting with.

Be sure to check out the Raw Food Diet forum. Great info in there.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4