GO!

Raw Prey Model guidelines

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Jesse

Jesse, the love- of my life!

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '07 1:52pm PST 
Hi,
My name is Sue (Jesse's Mom) and I am the owner of My Pet Carnivore. Thank you so much for listing my site on your post about rawfeeding ... great post by the way!

Your dog, Summer, is clear evidence of what rawfeeding can do ... she is beautiful and I am sure as healthy!

Thanks again, Sue
[notify]
Ra

Anything that- squeaks must- DIE!

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '07 2:05pm PST 
Holy Cow Summer,
You covered everything!
This is wonderfully informational, and educational.

How long did this take you to put together?

Thank you for being so great!
[notify]
Goofball - CGC, CL1

Just Goofy.

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '07 7:43pm PST 
Thank you summer. Pawsome. applause
[notify]

Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '07 10:43pm PST 
Nice job. I have to say. I have been doing it for about three months. I struggled in the beginning, but it is amazing how in about three months it has become second nature.

I look at the RMB I give the dogs and figure out about how big the bone is and add ground meat to compensate. I always make a ground mixture with the proper ratio of organ and ground meat so I can just give them portion sizes related to the RMB. I will add supplemental items from time to time as well, depending on what it is it will replace some of the ground mixture (fish, egg, what ever I have in the rotation) It becomes a system pretty readily once you get used to it. And I love looking for a new food to throw in to the mix. And learning from other people to get ideas. I do more of a frankenprey myself, but it works for me quite well, as well as for the dogs smile Good job. Great post to come back for a refresher.. smile
[notify]
JaVa

I'm too cool for- a motto

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '07 7:35am PST 
Hey Summer, permission to crosspost?
[notify]
Loki

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '07 6:07pm PST 
Hey summer! Thanks for the fantastic post, my mom started feeding me a prey model diet the very first day I came home and I love it (though it took me a few days to figure out it was food... I was used to kibble and chicken just didn't smell as yummy)! It's nice to hear from other dogs who share my natural diet, way to get the word out and inform people about an awesome alternative diet!

Woof!
[notify]
Enzo

The mistake

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '07 8:45pm PST 
Enzo will be about 80-100 kg. So I feed him 16kg of food per day? That sounds like a bit much... I know that they are big eaters, but 16kg!
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '07 8:54pm PST 
The recommended amount to feed is 2-3% of the ideal adult body weight. So if you want Enzo to be 90kg, then 90kg x 0.025 is 2.25kg per day. Of course, the 2-3% is just a rough guideline. You will need to adjust up or down depending on how Enzo puts on or takes off weight.

The optimum level for Gio to maintain a healthy weight is 1.1%, while Romeo is sitting at 3.1% to maintain healthy weight. I figured this out just through trial and error.
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '07 8:58pm PST 
Just a thought though ... did you intend to say 80-100kg? Or did you maybe mean lb? Neapolitan Mastiffs generally range 50-68kg (110-150lb) and Mastiffs 79-86kg (175-190lb).
[notify]
Marley

Bob Marley- my twin!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '07 6:42pm PST 
what an awesome read! thank you so much for posting this!!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4