GO!

Swimming puppy syndrome

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maggie

Our bestest good- friend!!!

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 3:29pm PST 
Does anyone know about a condition that some puppies can be born with called "swimming puppy syndrome"? They are born with a flat chest instead of a rounded one. Therefore, to move, they have to "swim".
I just heard that my new little brother has this. I know he will need extra care!
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 7:07am PST 
Bump
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 3:36pm PST 
Bump
[notify]

Maggie

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 7:12pm PST 
What does "bump" mean.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Mon Jan 6, '14 8:54am PST 
Bump means that the poster doesn't have an answer for you, but wants your question to stay high enough up that people who might will see it.

I don't have the information handy, and don't have time to look right now, but in the last year or so there was a fairly high profile case of a swimmer puppy being pulled from a shelter that wanted to kill him, and being successfully treated. You may be able to find it if you Google "swimmer puppy" and treatment.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Jan 6, '14 9:26am PST 
https://www.facebook.com/PandaPawsRescue501c3?ref=br_tf

Panda Paws Rescue just rehabed a swimming puppy named Meatyball, if you look on their facebook page you can find info. He's the blue pitty puppy.
[notify]
Toto, CD,- RN, CGC

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 6, '14 12:09pm PST 
I have had several "swimmers" over the years and all turned out perfectly normal. The trick is to tape the legs so the pup cannot lie on its chest, it has to lie on its side instead. It can still work its way over to a nipple with no issues. Change the tape about every three or four days to allow for growth. I taped the front legs together at just above the ankles and the same with the rear, leaving about an inch (depending on the size of the pup) between the legs so they go straight down to the ground if you hold it as it were standing.
In addition to the taping you can also put a toeless wool or other heavy sock, fairly snugly, on the puppy, cutting two holes for the two front legs to hang out.
Finally, sometimes it is as simple as a puppy nursing too much and getting too fat (and lazy?). In this case all you need to do is monitor the time it spends nursing.
It is believed it results from the pup being in a poor position while in the uterus, thus flattening the chest.
The sooner the taping is started the better it is for the pup as the bones are still quite soft and will bend out easier when really young.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Jan 7, '14 3:53am PST 
Bump
[notify]
Maggie

Barked: Wed Jan 8, '14 2:18pm PST 
The breeder and I have been keeping in close contact. "PI" is able to walk, climb and chase a pheasant wing all ready. They are making him lie on his side when he is sleeping and giving him extra nursing time since he was the biggest pup but now is about 2 pounds lighter than the rest. They plan on getting him to me when he is about 8 weeks old. Do you think I should have him weaned earlier and start more intensive therapy before then?
[notify]
Toto, CD,- RN, CGC

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Wed Jan 8, '14 3:40pm PST 
How old is he?? If he is old enough to be walking then he does NOT have Swimmer puppy syndrome. That is ONLY a problem when the puppy cannot walk. If taping, etc.,(outlined in my first post) gets them up on their feet then the problem IS resolved completely and it is impossible to tell that puppy from any other in the litter and any further issues are totally insignificant. No further therapies are required because the puppy is now normal with a normal chest.
However, it is also possible this puppy has a congenital defect of the chest, , a concaved chest which is NOT Swimmers but is an actual birth defect. If that is the case he is likely to end up with that concave chest and you would want to watch for breathing issues as the lung space can be compromised and not allow the lungs to fully expand. This condition can also result in issues with the diaphragm and the stomach.
I would find out what her veterinarian has diagnosed and what their opinion is. Like I said before, swimmers is a temporary condition and is fixed once the puppy is able to walk and leaves no permanent changes to that puppy's skeletal system.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2