GO!

New Puppy Soon

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Dec 28, '13 5:23am PST 
Okay, in the next couple of months I will be bringing home a new puppy =) It is going to be a Pit Bull/Staffordshire/Bulldog mix. I have begun getting supplies and setting aside money for vet visits & whatever else puppy will need. I am going to start crate training as soon as puppy comes home just as I did with Angel and go through puppy classes (I wish I'd been able to do this with Angel). I have been working really crazy hours lately but by the time the puppy gets here I will not be doing that anymore.

I am wondering how much different it will be to have a healthy puppy vs a sick puppy (Angel was sick as a puppy therefore she was very lethargic and not very active.)

What all will I need to purchase in regards to supplies aside from food bowls, toys, collar & leash?

I am very big on keeping Angel up to date with her shots & vet visits, so that will be no different with new puppy.

Any advice/suggestions will be very much appreciated!
[notify]
Zeea

Barked: Sat Dec 28, '13 8:56pm PST 
The big difference will be your puppy's activity level. When they are healthy they are MUCH MORE ACTIVE. So you will need to provide more exercise time and also because your puppy has more energy it can get bored quicker. Make sure to have appropriate chews to keep your puppy entertained. Also with excess energy puppies can get excited easily so some stain/order cleaner is always useful. ^_-

If you find your new puppy is a puller I suggest an Easy Walk they are amazing and hook in the front so if they pull they are forced to turn around giving self-correction (a great way for puppies to learn something fast).

Good luck and have fun with the new pup! puppy
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Sat Dec 28, '13 9:06pm PST 
I second the activity comment, pups are little bundles or energy and it definitely gets more intense as they get older and have more stamina wink

As for supplies, sounds like you've nailed down the basics. Benny also has plenty of squeaky toys, a kong for stuffing, an antler for chewing... Nothing that is super pressing that you need to get right away. We've amassed these over a period of time, you just pick them up as you go (and as they go on sale happy dance)
[notify]

Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 1:12pm PST 
Thanks for the responses =) Energy level was actually what I was wondering about the most.

Angel has a Classic Kong chew that she loves, and I plan on getting that for the puppy as well.
[notify]
Bodhi

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 7:30pm PST 
Oh, and that will be an energetic pup based on the mix, but start him/ her off right and provide mental and physical stimulation and it will be worth the frustration wink I highly recommend a flirt pole. You won't need it until the pup is a little older. I just started with it with mine recently (4 months old) great for those moments when he gets a bug up his butt and wants to torment the older dogs who aren't in the mood. He's young so I keep it short, but it really helps take the edge off. I always make sure I end on a calm note, doing some basic sits and downs with treats so he doesn't go back in MORE jazzed up from the adrenaline. Then after a kibble roller toy, he's ready for a nap... repeat a few hours later party
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 11:04pm PST 
I will have to look into a flirt pole...I've honestly never heard of that!

Okay I looked it up and decided that's a must-have LOL!

Edited by author Wed Jan 1, '14 11:09pm PST

[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 4:12am PST 
Good Luck! Can't wait to se pics! happy dance
[notify]
Trixie

Forever in my- heart

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 8:57am PST 
Bump
[notify]