GO!

Learning a Siberian Husky puppy that it isn't okay to bite.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Jin

Harry Potter- Puppy (31/7)

Barked: Fri Nov 22, '13 4:26pm PST 
Hello, my husky puppy (Jin) sometimes gets really excited and just starts biting, I have tried the loud pitch "OW" and the ignore method, nothing seems to work, he just bites down harder.

I've had him for nearly a month now. I'll really appreciate some answers of your personal experience with puppies that are hard to turn (this is about the only issue we have with him now, he's learned not to chew on furniture and chew his toys as well as potty trained within a week). I have also put him outside and left him out for about 20 minutes but sometimes he just comes in again as hyper as ever.

Also, I know huskies require lots of exercise, he gets about a couple of 20 minute walks each day sometimes more, he's young yet, so I don't want to strain him much with longer walks.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Nov 23, '13 4:39am PST 
Try trading. When he starts to bite, give him a favorite toy to distract him.
[notify]
Jin

Barked: Sat Nov 23, '13 4:54am PST 
I forgot to mention I have done that too but I will maybe try it more, even a Kong with the peanut butter in it.. I don't want him to think he gets rewards for biting though.
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Nov 23, '13 7:18am PST 
He isn't biting, he's playing. Puppies play using their mouths. You aren't rewarding him for biting, you are giving him something more appropriate to play with then your skin.
[notify]
Jin

Barked: Sat Nov 23, '13 9:01am PST 
Oh I know he's playing, the biting isn't ever associated with growling, it just can get very rough at times where he had left marks on my arm (no blood drawn), but I will definitely use the toy method more and hopefully that will get the idea into his head, I'll let yous know how this works, its not very often he gets into that amount of playfulness, that last time was the first time in a while he did that. I think he is getting his adult teeth in as his gums were bleeding the next day, he's losing and growing new ones, he seems to have learned that his Kong Teething Stick is also for chewing (used to just lick it).
[notify]
Tyvon "Stallone" Savage

Bring on the- action!

Barked: Sat Nov 23, '13 9:38am PST 
Stallone is catching on to "NO" pretty well, as I've been "no"ing the hand and feet playing, and then instantly trading him my limbs for a toy and saying "yes!" when he takes that instead. I've been trying to watch for right when he's about to go for my hand and cut him off BEFORE he does so, so that his brain doesn't think hand first, toy after. However, when he gets super riled up he's not as attentive, so I'll just say NO and stand up and walk away from him. If he brings me a toy as an apology, we play again. He's barely nine weeks old so I know he needs time, but I want to cut it off early!

Also - for a husky pup, I doubt extending the 20-minute walk would be "straining". Are you just walking, or are you running and playing and really burning up his energy? Stallone will keep up with my big guy and I for well over an hour, including beach running, six flights of stairs at a run, and then park playtime. Both my dogs are MUCH better behaved if their day is started with a thorough wearing out! Haha I am too actually wink
[notify]
Jin

Barked: Sat Nov 23, '13 11:26am PST 
Actually we tried taking him an hour long walk, he went well but was sick afterwards, but I am increasing the walk length soon, he is tired out after the 20 minute walks, it could have even been he was getting excited as Thursday nights is when he goes to puppy socialization classes and he seems to love those.
[notify]
Tyson Savage- CGC

Let's do big dog- stuff!

Barked: Sat Nov 23, '13 3:14pm PST 
Wow I'm surprised he gets tired so fast! How old is he? And maybe it is the accentuated excitement that brings that on. Try cutting it off before it starts. What I did with my dogs and horses when they started to do something 'bad' was gasp loudly as if I was astonished and disgusted. I make that noise, all my pets stop drop and roll. I used the noise before I said no or reprimanded, so they were warned before doing something inappropriate. It worked well. Does the little just give warning before pouncing?
[notify]
Jin

Barked: Sat Nov 23, '13 3:59pm PST 
No not really, but you kind of know when he's in a bitey mood as his mouth opens all the time, he was today but all I did was say "No close that mouth" and closed his mouth (not forcefully) and he let me pet him without me having the worry of my hand being used as a chew toy. He seriously just takes these moments. He's wide awake when visitors are in though, even after a walk, somehow I think the going to his bed and having a nap is just acting after these walks XD I wonder if he's getting fed enough if you think he should still be rather active after these walks, he gets like 2.5 cups of K9 Optimum (not sure if that's how you spell that but it's Jolly's new grain free food, just have him on the normal puppy food as the large breed might be too much for him as huskies don't actually weigh that much or need much food compared to other breeds their size) and plus he gets some training treats when I'm learning him stuff, normally gets a chewy treat.

Oh and he's nearly 4 months of age, I heard a good rule of thumb for walking them is add on 5 minutes every month. We only got him comfortable on the leash in like his second week with us, but he has been getting the 20 minute walks since we have knew he's okay with everything. Cars don't seem to scare him, some dogs do (is why we're taking him to the classes), he wants to greet everyone he sees as well as that, I'm learning him to walk to heel and not to pull.

Edited by author Sat Nov 23, '13 4:03pm PST

[notify]
Tyson Savage- CGC

Let's do big dog- stuff!

Barked: Sat Nov 23, '13 5:38pm PST 
So while I was typing a response, Stallone snagged my phone and took off. Managed to delete my whole response *sigh*. I've never delt with husky pups as young as yours, but I fostered at nine months plus. They were VERY mouthy. It was all about preemptive strikes with him.

Here's my next question: when your pup is going for your hands, are you already playing? Or is it spontaneous "attack"?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3