GO!

Girl names vs Boy names?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 12:22pm PST 
Just wondering what people thing about giving a male dog a name that sounds more like a female name or vice versa?
I was thinking of naming my next puppy after a famous person. I will most likely be getting a male puppy, and the person is male but the name ends in "a" so it sounds kinda more like a female name... So I'm not sure if I should use it or not. However it's a last name so it's really not male or female.
Then again I looked up dogs with that name on Dogster and it looks like the majority of dogs with that name(not that there are a lot of them) are female. thinking

I could try to come up with a different name and use this name for the next female I get instead I guess.
[notify]
Toby

the old crazy- dog!

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 1:36pm PST 
I dont know.. It can be okay but i'd have to know your futur dog's name to answer you correctly wink
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 2:11pm PST 
Unless it bothers you if people think your dog is the opposite gender after you tell them the name, I don't think it matters. If you're happy with the name gender combination, I'd say you should go for it. Even if other people think it's strange, most won't give it much more than a passing thought, and it's your dog anyway, so you should choose the name you like best regardless.
[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 6:03pm PST 
A lot of people figure Bunny is a girllaugh out loud It doesn't bother me. That's the name he was given by "his" boy, so I kept itbig grin

Edited by author Sun Oct 6, '13 6:05pm PST

[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 9:18pm PST 
I don't really see what it matters. It's not like the dog is going to have some sort of gender identity crisis.
[notify]
Chase

Oh boy!- Ohboyohboyohboy!

Barked: Mon Oct 7, '13 3:48am PST 
I agree that it doesn't really matter. Chase is a girl, and our cat Napoleon is also a girl.
They don't care.
[notify]
Tinker CGC,- CAA, TT

I am never- tired!

Barked: Mon Oct 7, '13 6:01am PST 
Tinker is a boy, and he is a big dog. smile
[notify]
Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Mon Oct 7, '13 11:25am PST 
I think you should go with whatever makes you happy. I love using famous last names as animal names and my general rule is to match the gender of my animal to the gender of the famous person. But that's just my personal rule because it makes sense in my brain. For example, I might name a male dog Poe (Edgar Allen) or Sinatra (Frank) or of course Capone (Al). I might name a female dog Monroe (Marilyn) or Harlow (Jean) or Garbo (Greta). A name like Kennedy might be unisex for me because there are famous Kennedy's of both gender.

You may come across people who are confused about your dog's gender based on the name, so I guess it comes down to whether that would bother you. I'm certain it won't bother your dog. puppy
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Mon Oct 7, '13 3:12pm PST 
OMG I love these discussions. They crack me up every time. I guess it doesn't matter as long as you don't name him Lisa or something really girlie. XD

I once knew a guy named Ashley in college. That to me was just weird. laugh out loud I also once met a guy on the subway named Rosey. I have also recently met a girl named Ryan at the semminary. laugh out loud Oh yes, and I once met a lady who had a male cat named Olivia. They couldn't tell it was a boy when it was really tiny, but then one day Olivia proved that he had male equipment, but by then he was already used to his name, so they just kept it. laugh out loud
I'm just personally not into unisex names. XD
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Oct 7, '13 3:30pm PST 
Why would it matter if someone did name their dog something "really girlie"? As others have pointed out, the dog itself isn't going to care at all. I put pink/purple collars on my male dogs because I like the colors on them. The worst that's going to happen is people will think my dogs are female, and I really couldn't care less if people mistake the genders of my dogs. I have a female bird named Cortez because the males and females look nearly identical. We had no idea the gender for years until "he" started laying eggs. We still usually refer to her as a male out of habit and s/he doesn't seemed to have suffered any mental distress from it yet.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3