GO!

Questions Regarding Newborn Puppies and Raising Them

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Zoey

out of the- shiverer comes- the brave!

Barked: Mon Sep 23, '13 7:46pm PST 
I recently came into a mother dog and her litter of 3 day-old pups. I found them in a box on a corner in LA while out this weekend. The nerve of some people! I took the lot of them and haven't looked back. I've raised kittens from 3 weeks before, but I confess it's been years since I've had a puppy (let alone 3!) in the house since we usually adopt or rescue dogs. Have any advice on training, housing, confining, appropriate discipline, outings, etc.? I have 2 chihuahuas and 2 cats of my own, but since the pups haven't gotten their shots yet (they're only 3 days old!), are they still allowed to meet the other dogs when they are at a more appropriate age?
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 5:26pm PST 
I would keep Mom and pups in a quiet place for a while, since they are new to your household. They should be seen by a vet within a week of having them. It's been years since I've seen someone take care of a mom & pups. I think Mom should get about 3 or 4 meals a day, while the pups are nursing. If they are about 3 weeks old like you said, they should be weaned soon. I'm not sure of the exact age on that, so maybe someone can jump in and either correct me or add to it. You can take some puppy food and moisten it to mush for the pups and offer it to them if they have all their teeth. You are a good person to take them in like that. applauseway to go There is a special place for the kind of people who abandoned them. Good Luck and please keep us posted on their progress. We would love to see pictures. smile
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Wed Sep 25, '13 12:26pm PST 
Definitely get in touch with your vet and see what they suggest in terms of health. They will need to be dewormed and eventually vaccinated. I believe the antibodies from their mum will start to wear off around 7-8 weeks so thats when they should begin their vaccinations (though double check with your vet on this).

I haven't got any experience in the raising of little pups though, hopefully someone will be able to help you out there. I think socialization with your animal clan is good because it gets them used to all sorts of stuff. Just make sure everyone is health and parasite free way to go
[notify]

Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Wed Sep 25, '13 12:27pm PST 
Definitely get in touch with your vet and see what they suggest in terms of health. They will need to be dewormed and eventually vaccinated. I believe the antibodies from their mum will start to wear off around 7-8 weeks so thats when they should begin their vaccinations (though double check with your vet on this).

I haven't got any experience in the raising of little pups though, hopefully someone will be able to help you out there. I think socialization with your animal clan is good because it gets them used to all sorts of stuff. Just make sure everyone is health and parasite free way to go
[notify]
Zoey

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 5:05pm PST 
Thanks guys! One thing though, I raised a litter of kittens at 3 weeks...the puppies at the time of my posting were 3 days old. Much, much smaller! But everything else applies, so I'll take your advice and get them all checked by my vet!
[notify]
Zoey

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 5:05pm PST 
Thanks guys! One thing though, I raised a litter of kittens at 3 weeks...the puppies at the time of my posting were 3 days old. Much, much smaller! But everything else applies, so I'll take your advice and get them all checked by my vet!
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 6:49pm PST 
I'm sorry, I thought the pups were 3 weeks. Please keep us posted. smile
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Oct 20, '13 1:54am PST 
Although it seems unlikely two guests would ask about that same breeder within a few days and it's completely irrelevant to this thread, I'll copy paste my previous answer since this thread is no longer recent anyway.

I absolutely would not buy a puppy from that site. Reputable breeders who breed for health and temperament do not breed "teacup" sized dogs. There's no information about the health or temperament of the parents, and the health guarantee is a joke. They even mention themselves how unnaturally fragile, prone to problems, and difficult to care for their dogs are.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 9:46am PST 
Reported to HQ as Spam Onyx and they have blanked it.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 9:03pm PST 
Personally, Mom gets dry left to graze at her leisure and feed wet (the kibble soaked in Grade A Ultra 24 by Milk Products 24 several times a day. That milk replacer can also be used for all sorts of small mammals and livestock and will come in handy when it gets time to intro the pups to solids. I generally give Mom 3-4 "wet" meals a day; the object is that the more liquid the more milk. With only 3, she may not need quite as much as a bitch trying to nurse 8.

Puppy mush is pretty simple but amazingly messy. I generally pull the bitch away for a couple of hours to get the babies hungry then having soaked the puppy kibble in milk, blend it adding milk as needed until it is a medium consistency. Then you can set them down and make them smell it, get a finger-ful and put it on their tongues, The first several days is generally "I hate this; you're torturing me!" With 3 I'd only start with a couple of spoonfuls. Once they start eating, you'll have to increase like crazy. I always found it easier to keep several cups of the puppy food soaking so I didn't have to worry about running out.

You definitely need to get on a deworming schedule and talk to the vet about a vax schedule since the bitch is an unknown; they may suggest starting at 6 weeks and using a different brand. I can give you a bit more guidance if you PM me. I had a litter of 8 Beagles back in April that ran me ragged.

Some people don't like them, but the kiddie wading pools work wonders, especially when the kids start opening their eyes (around 14 days). I started off with the smaller one and had to go to the taller/larger one to keep my crew contained. X-pens are always a good idea. With the pool, I could take binder clips and attach the sheet to the edges, but the pups couldn't touch them, then I'd lay the towels or other bedding on top.

I made an excel spreadsheet (generic) that I fixed for each pup. If someone needed a supplemental feeding, it was noted. It also helped keep track of those early nail trimmings, how much the bitch was eating, or if anyone had a minor issue. This went in a binder that went to the vet with us. I actually used it to id a food allergy issue; I notated every time Remy's poo was off; we changed protein sources and no issue so I tried her again and it went off again. Now she doesn't get anything with lamb.
[notify]