GO!

Hello everyone from Max! ♥

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Max

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 11:34pm PST 
Hello everyone!

Few days ago in my house has lodged a small, fluffy happiness by the name of Max. Max - a wonderful, playful and affectionate puppy! He half-breed Labrador and golden retriever, he fawn color.
Sometimes it seems to me that he is ready to meet someone pleased to each! And now I just want to say hello to everyone from Max dog

P.S. In fact, I have a lot of questions red face Max now only six weeks, and next week we will have first inoculation. Max is very clever boy, and I wonder at what time I can start learning the different commands? And when I'm with Max can go for a walk on a leash?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 3:43am PST 
welcome Max and person.

Max will need to finish all of his baby vaccines before he can really begin taking walks and being exposed to other dogs because until his vaccines are finished he could still be vulnerable to becoming ill.
When that is will depend on how your vet does vaccines but typically around 16 weeks.

As far as when he can start to learn simple commands like come, sit, down and paw. He can begin slowly now. Just start by giving him treats while he is doing the things you want him to learn. Again, welcome and good luck.wave
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 7:31pm PST 
Hi Max welcome

I would consult with your vet about when and where to walk. We live on acreage and so my puppy could play and walk on our property basically risk free. Your vet will be able to tell you if you are in a high risk area for some diseases like parvo and offer you some suggestions.

Personally I socialized my dog with healthy vaccinated dogs in the beginning and I brought him with me anywhere I could. I avoided high traffic dog areas like dog parks and pet stores in the beginning though, I waited till he had completed all his vaccinations at 4 months smile
[notify]

Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 7:32pm PST 
Hi Max welcome

I would consult with your vet about when and where to walk. We live on acreage and so my puppy could play and walk on our property basically risk free. Your vet will be able to tell you if you are in a high risk area for some diseases like parvo and offer you some suggestions.

Personally I socialized my dog with healthy vaccinated dogs in the beginning and I brought him with me anywhere I could. I avoided high traffic dog areas like dog parks and pet stores in the beginning though, I waited till he had completed all his vaccinations at 4 months smile
[notify]
Max

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 10:46pm PST 
Thanks for your answers! puppy

This week we will be the first visit to the vet, and as long as Max is very small for walking in the street. But I always want to know everything in advance, to avoid mistakes )))
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 4:11am PST 
You are once again welcome. Walking on the street should definitely wait until Max is done with vaccines but walking in your yard and learning about the leash can start before that so that by the time you take your first walk out of the yard he is already comfortable with walking with you, not to say you should expect him to do perfectly the first time out he may pull out of excitement and of course will not have perfect leash manners, that comes later but getting used to walking with someone holding the leash and learning to focus on you can certainly be started by 10-12 weeks. Golden's are a sensitive but very forgiving breed if you do make mistakes so don't worry too much and just enjoy your little bundle of fur, they don't stay little long.
[notify]
Max

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 11:00pm PST 
Thank you very much for the advice! smile And what a leash advise to buy? Which pup will be easier to get used to at first? thinking
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Aug 17, '13 12:00am PST 
Just for walks you will want to have a harness, not a collar. I don't recommend any specific brand but the light-weight adjustable nylon ones are the best idea at least in the beginning. That way the puppy won't be dragging around something heavy all of the time like they would with a chain type leash. The harness would also prevent injuries to Max's neck or throat should the leash get stuck on anything, that is also why I prefer a harness to a collar for walks, should they happen to pull they won't injure themselves. Having an adjustable harness also saves a bit of money since puppies grow very rapidly and you won't want to have to replace them what could be weekly, don't laugh, we had that with Kai as a puppy, he was growing so fast he went through 4 collars in 3 weeks!! Any 4-6 ft. nylon leash will also be fine. I don't like the retractables with puppies until they learn to walk nicely and even then only on occasion because so many others use them improperly.
[notify]
Max

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 5:31am PST 
MIKA&KAI, thank you very much for the advice )))

Wow, after going to the vet Max was a girl! О_о Now I call her Maxi laugh out loud
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 7:41pm PST 
Glad I can be of assistance. Max is fine for a girl as well as a boy. She is a cutie pie!!! If you would like you are also welcome to p-mail anytime.
You just click our picture, that will take you to our page, then you click on the little envelope and write your message and click submit. Being new here I wasn't sure if you knew how to use all of the features.hugwishes
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2