GO!

Why?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 12:24pm PST 
Kali will be 9 in May and still eats poop. When you find a solution, let me know. laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 3:56pm PST 
The good news is (?) most puppies, esp toy breeds do not have any bladder control until around 4 months, so she literally CAN'T hold it, which is why you need to take her outside every half hour, and WAIT until she goes. Use words like 'go potty' or some other similar word, and use the same word each time..when she is tinkling or popping, say 'GOOD POTTY!!' so she associates the words, and immediatley give her a little treat and a head rub.

It sounds like she needs to get on a schedule.
Take her for a walk around the yard each morning, get those little legs moving, and she likely will have to potty, PERFECT time to use those catch phrases! wink

Also as soon as she eats or drinks water or plays, take her outside..maybe even play outside with her until she potties, and use the word(s) you want to use for her to associate. PRAISE and PLAY and BE HAPPY!!

When you do catch her in the act, clean it up immediately-I can sympathize with the lightning-speed, as Frankie is lightning-quick and one time when I simply walked across the room to get the remote, he made a beeline from the kitchen, jumped up onto the couch, and scarfed the top half of my sandwich and carried it off! laugh out loud

One thing a trainer had instructed me on when Frankie was about 4 months old, too, was, when you catch him/her in 'the act', SHRIEK his/her name REALLY LOUD...(must be LITERALLY as they are peeing or pooping), then IMMEDIATELY pick them up and carry them to the proper potty spot and in a calm soothing tone say 'go potty!' the trainer said it shuts down their sphincter muscle and stops the process. It worked like a charm with Frankie, he knew then where to 'go potty'...wink Be sure to treat and praise every time she potties in the right spot.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 4:04pm PST 
Also, here is a great article with some great tips..(may have to copy and paste without the spaces) :
http://ezinearticles.com/?Puppy-Potty-Training-Tips-You-Need-To-Kn ow-About-Right-Now&id=5612226
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2