GO!

Why?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lola

I'm A Crazy- Chick

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 12:19pm PST 
Just when life was a bit easier I complicated things by getting a tiny Shih Tzu puppy. My husband is not a dog person but regardless I still got the new puppy. She pees on the paper and also on the floor at least once a day. She never poops on the paper and when she does poop if I don't get to it before her she eats it. This is a dog who hates all dog food, dry and canned, cheap and expensive. I have faked that I am eating it, I have spoon fed her, she hates dog food. She loves poop about as much as I love donuts and that's a lot. She had pills to make the poop taste bad? but she still gobbles it up. She also keeps putting her poop in her toy box for snacking on later. She bites me until I bleed, my arms, hands, and feet. Every night she goes crazy for about 2 hours, barking, biting, totally out of control. I have tried ever bit of advice and nothing stops this behavior. I ask myself why, why do I have this puppy? Despite all her terrible behavior I love her, I am totally smitten with Lola big grin and so is my husband laugh out loud

Edited by author Wed Apr 24, '13 12:40pm PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 12:42pm PST 
I have a friend with a shih-tzu that eats poop and she's tried all the pills and the banan and pineapple in the food. Everything she's ever heard of she's tried, nothing worked. She has to go outside with that dog every single time it goes out and pick up right away.
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 1:15pm PST 
I sympathize with the poop eatinghug Princesse is litter trained, so that means easy access unless we are able to pick it up immediatelyeek

As for the puppy crazies, how much exercise is this puppy getting? I realize she may not be have all her shots, but even a couple of good play sessions a day in the house or yard may helpsmile
[notify]

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 1:37pm PST 
The 2 hour of crazy behavior sounds like puppy zoomie, crazy time. Moose went through this. Only at night and for at least an hour, but some nights longer.

The puppy should not be allowed to pee or poop inside. The puppy needs to be taken outside every half hour to hour, when you're home, and walked to help things along.
The second the pup poops, someone picks it up. Never allow the dog access to it's own poop. Poop eating problem solved.
And when she goes potty outside, you praise like crazy and let her know that she did good.
If you're not going to be home to let the pup out to potty, then hire someone to let her out a few times a day.
[notify]
Lola

I'm A Crazy- Chick

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 3:53pm PST 
I pick the poop up right away. She drags it under the couch while I grab a tissue to pick it up, she is quick! I tried to make her go out side but she won't pee or poop out there. I tried an entire day of taking her out every half hour for 5 minutes at a time. I kept her in her little crate in between times. She finally ended up peeing in the crate. last week we were at a cook out and she was outside 5 straight hours and peed a huge puddle as soon as we went in the house. I have taken her pee pads outside too to try to encourage her. She seems to be afraid to go outside but I take her out a few times every day. She got her last shot 2 weeks ago smile I have had puppies before but it's been years, this one is just like a new baby. I am disabled and don't know how people do it that have to work, I give them a lot of credit
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 7:06pm PST 
My dog never ate poop. But he hated dog food until I tried Stella and chewys premade raw frozen patties. I thaw them in the refrigerator the night before and cut it up and stir it in warm water. He gobbles it right up.
[notify]
Queenie

Queenie, queen- bee

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 3:24am PST 
Maybe Lola has a sensitive stomach? I had the same problem with queenie they like the poo because it is stripped of all richness and nutrients so it's softer on her stomach, i bought some hypoallergenic dry food for her and this behaviour soon stopped within a couple of days. Queenie kept investigating the bowel of food for a few hours as naturally she was scared to eat it, as she would of associated good with getting a sore tummy. You just have to be strict and make sure you leave it out for around a day or so, dogs will get hungry and they will eat, one Lola has eaten it a few times and realises her stomach feels fine the poo eating will die down and stop. smile
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 7:31am PST 
My new puppy will be 12 weeks old on Monday, when I got her at 9 weeks of age she had never been outside because here in Canada we're having a long winter. I started taking her outside from the start as I don't want a paper trained dog, we have had accidents of course but overall she's doing very well. And I work.

Don't give up after one day, keep taking her outside! Get her running around the yard, take toys out there. Moving around will get her bladder working. If she's scared of being outside make it a great place to be!! Toys, happy voice and even treats just for being out there. Stay out way longer than 5 minutes.

If you put her in the crate don't put a blanket in, they're more willing to pee when something's going to soak it up. I had a foster that was refusing to pee in the yard in the mornings before work and then would pee in his crate, so I started taking his blanket out and then he'd hold it until I came home at lunch. He soon learnt to pee in the yard in the morning!!

If she messes in the house pick her up right away!! Don't give her the chance to pick up the poop. Either hold her while you clean up the poop or put her in the crate.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 8:15am PST 
You have to consider where she came from too- your page says you got her from a pet store, so, she came from a puppy mill.

Where she likely spent the entire first portion of her life living in her own filth, perhaps having to eat it just as a means to get by.

These dogs are notoriously plagued with these problems, and equally hard to break of the habits because of just how strongly it is imprinted on them.

Best you can do is stay positive, praise for going outside, and get the poop away from her as quickly as possible to prevent her eating it.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 3:53am PST 
I had a big time trouble with cleaning the poop up. My drizzle also used to have this habit of eating poop if it is left unscooped. So I had to scoop it soon, when when I was busy like crazy. But I found this tool called the dog stool tool manufactured by auggiedog in Toronto and it made my life easier to a great extent. Now I do not have to bend, or dirty my hands to clean the poop. The tool has made everything as simple as that.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2