GO!

Edwards Training Poor Breeding

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 11:13am PST 
I am posting this so anyone else contemplating purchasing a puppy from Edwards Training will rethink it. We purchased a corgi pup from them in 2010. Repeatedly asked for photos of the sire/dam and AKC papers. Neither were ever received. Puppy was sick first two days. Shots were given much too closely and had to be re-done by our vet after 6 weeks for the puppy to recover. No original rabies certificate - stamped photo copy. Incomplete shot records. Was eating poop when she first arrived. She is now 2.5 yrs old and just diagnosed with osteo-arthritis in both shoulders and both elbows. Vet and X-ray tech said she was born wit this, NOT a result of any type of injury. It is degenerative and usually seen in old dogs, not a young dog. I have since learned that there are others reporting the same types of issues with puppies from Edwards Training. I grew up around AKC bred dogs and never did a puppy have severe health issues. And I have since learned that AKC breeders will offer photos, registration numbers, etc up front when selling their dogs.

Edited by author Thu Apr 25, '13 2:55pm PST

[notify]
Dogster HQ

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 3:09pm PST 
Internet forums, by law, are considered an open dialogue of the people who post to them. They are neither the position nor the content of the Internet site that hosts the software the statements are posted. This legal standing has been very clearly defined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act and been upheld repeatedly.

As a company Dogster has no public opinion of this breeder and it's services, and we are not in a position to judge what our members feelings are of other companies, so we do not change content of this nature.

Discussions about the practices of breeders are common on Dogster and are allowed just as long as the discussion keeps within the "Spirit of Dogster."
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 4:48pm PST 
Just to clarify before admin modifies or removes your post (you can't post breeder names in the spirit of slandering them), being AKC certified is no guarantee of quality. The acronym merely means that the dogs are likely purebred. I say likely because it's still no guarantee, papers can be fraudulently filled out. They are no guarantee of health. They are no guarantee of ethical breeding. Loads of puppy millers selling incredibly unhealthy animals have them.

All that said, it's always a good idea to meet the sire and dam if at all possible when you meet the breeder. If it's not, pictures/papers should have been requested before you bought the pup to confirm whatever information you were hoping to get out of them.

Puppies are often a bit ill when they first come home as it's not only stressful to be first separated from their litter, but dietary changes are often made at the same time. If you at all switched foods or even added in unfamiliar treats that would be enough to elicit vomiting and diarrhea.

Puppies eating poo is not unusual either and it's no sign of any sort of health or breeding issues.

I'm curious if you weren't given any paperwork how you know vaccines were given too closely together? And if they were incomplete why you couldn't have just called their vet to confirm what exactly happened?

As far as the bone issues I'm not sure how your vet could confirm it was an inherent condition. Feeding poor quality foods, and even too much exercise on young bones and joints can net you the exact same result. The fact that she was eating her own poo right off the bat has me wondering if she had some sort of undiagnosed parasite? You don't mention worming, but if it went on long enough that could have easily depleted nutrition to the point of affecting her physical development.

I glanced at the breeders site. The only red flag I saw was that they claim all puppies spend the first five weeks in their master bedroom, yet they had quite a few puppies available. I do wonder how they could fit so many in there. Other than that they looked to take what they do pretty seriously. Have you contacted them and let them know what's going on? When all this was going on with her vaccines did you get in touch with them to clarify? They look like the type that would be more than happy to help rectify any trouble down the line.
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 5:22pm PST 
I see a few red flags that would keep me from using them as breeders, to be honest.

Firstly, look at how many puppies they have available for sale. And how many are different breeds? Ten are Labs, One Border Collie, and Seven are Italian Greyhound. Eighteen puppies. At once. And they're listed on Puppyfind.com no less. I don't know of any GOOD, REPUTABLE breeder that would use puppyfind.com.

They also sell all puppies WITH full breeding rights unless otherwise stated. Their health guarantee lasts THREE DAYS. Yes, just three days. After three days, the buyer assumes all responsibility for the puppies health and development. Yep...

Oh.. But then they go on to say that they guarantee the pup to be free of life-threatening genetic defects until just 12 months. Which is interesting as many don't show up for YEARS.

They also only have two dogs listed on their Studs/Dams page, which makes me wonder about the others.

In all honesty... I wouldn't go through them for a puppy.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 7:31pm PST 
What's done is done Charlie. I don't see the point in you telling the OP that you personally wouldn't have gotten a dog from this particular breeder. What does that help or solve?

Admin - I do hope you catch wind of this thread soon and delete it. It's really not right to put up breeder names like this, especially when they're being pegged as irresponsible for issues that could be attributed to other causes.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 12:53am PST 
What I'm trying to point out is that the likelihood of them helping is fairly slim. You said you only saw one red flag, I see many and their 'contract' suggests that they're not going to really give a crap about whether or not Guest's dog is having problems. And I do agree that they COULD be issues attributed to other things - it's a hard call on that front.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 7:29am PST 
Ahhh....so your point was to point that *I* didn't take more time to evaluate them as breeders and my assertion that their extensive working/showing/training/boarding efforts might mean they're not bottom of the barrel is incorrect.....gotchya wink

People that intermingled in those communities do tend to care about their reputation. The odds are certainly not stacked in the opposite direction was all I was saying and a little communication often goes a long way.

Why encourage the original poster to make a mountain out of a molehill on a bunch of assumptions??
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 7:32am PST 
Just went back to check my previous post, in my defense notice I did indeed type the word "glanced" and I.certainly never proclaimed them any kind of wonderful lol

Edited by author Thu Apr 18, '13 7:44am PST

[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 7:44am PST 
Just went back to check my previous post, in my defense notice I did indeed type the word "glanced" lol
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 10:12am PST 
These people I think have been mentioned here before.

You both are right....how's that! laugh out loud big laugh Training facility capable of putting a solid title on a dog, very involved in the dog world. But they also BYB moonlight, it looks like to me. I would gather for more cashflow, they do have a bunch of breeds they advertise on Puppyfind which are not promoted on the main site.

All that said, there are not a ton of complaints on them. I know the puppyfind format, and it has a click box if the dogs are "registerable." If the buyer did not get in writing that the AKC papers would be forwarded, however, I don't think there is a claim (there is a difference between registerable and registered), and sending pictures of the parents same thing....if it wasn't promised, it wasn't owed. Puppies can be wormy. One would not expect them to have big worm bellies, but you don't always catch all worms, dependent on the worming schedule. One would hope the buyer got a schedule and could see if that was consistent. Eating poop is something puppies can do, and bone problems can occur.

More a buyer beware story than a horrible breeder story, IMO.

Edited by author Thu Apr 18, '13 10:13am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3