GO!

What to pack, picking up puppy.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 10:59am PST 
Hello all!

I'll be picking up my puppy either this weekend or next weekend depending on the weather. Lots of snow already predicted for this weekend so it doesn't look good!

It's an over 8 hour drive home so what all should I pack for the puppy? I have my own fuzzy mental list but would like to hear from others that have actually done this in case I'm missing something.

Thanks!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 3:01pm PST 
It was a 20 hour drive back home with Onyx, but I didn't really pack anything I wouldn't have brought for an adult dog. Water, dish, food, leash, long line, harness, crate if you're going to crate in the car (I didn't- just used the foot space in the passenger side with a passenger keeping an eye on the pup), and some chews/toys. Only thing I would add that's more puppy specific would be a couple towels. I tired Onyx out before leaving and let him out to potty and stretch his legs every time we stopped for gas or he got fussy. Other than that, he just slept most of the way.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 3:47pm PST 
I agree with Onyx, but will add, wipe one of the towels all over his mom and his litter mates. Don't wash it when you get home and give it to him to sleep on. It will help him settle in better. Also, I would bring Jewel with you. That way she meets your new pup in neutral territory. We did that with both Kali & Koby. It was a long drive, but it was better for the family unit in the end. Good Luck!
[notify]

Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 2:04pm PST 
I packed like I would for a normal trip with my dogs. My girl had a 5 hour trip to where I met her, then the next day another 12 hour trip to my house - so she had a fair amount of traveling. I packed a crate into the back of the SUV was all I did differently. I brought my other two as well. I had a passenger, but she was a teenager and only used for snagging drinks and paying for gas at stops lol! I stopped more on the way home than normal (it is normally a 4 stop trip), but figured it was good for the three dogs to walk around together (although potty breaks were given individually to the pup).

I always bring extra towels when I am in the car with the dogs for more than a 2 hour trip. I buy a cheap bag (10-15 large towels) from Goodwill, or the other local second hand store, for $5 and then don't mind if I have to throw them away during the trip due to bodily fluids - nobody wants to deal with that in a car! I also bring extra water to help with a wipe down if needed.
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 3:21pm PST 
Jewel hug dancing How exciting!!!

We had an eight hour drive up and back to pick up Jasper. Like everyone else has already said...the essentials when traveling with a dog (water, food, treats, bowls, leashes, poo bags, crate if going to be used, chewies, etc.)

I always have a first aid kit in the car when traveling...as well as a cell phone for emergencies. We stopped about every two to three hours to stretch, play and potty. Jasper slept while we drove as we played soothing music on the radio/CD player.

Yes, bring Jewel...the trip will be good bonding time too. Jasper's breeder gave us a toy and a small blanket he and his siblings played with to take home.

We want pics!!!!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 6:03pm PST 
Jewel... my list:
1: Camera
2: water dish and food dish/get water from breeder so there is no change, also, she will provide a few days worth of food so there will be no stresses.
3: Camera
4: Paper towels and a couple of regular towels
5: Camera
6: A couple of toys
7: Camera
8: crate with Blanket
9: Camera
10: Slip leash so puppy won't back out of a collar when you let her pee along the way.
That's it, you really shouldn't need anything else. But, do not forget your camera!!!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 12:52am PST 
I love Toto's list. And I'm pretty sure he's got a lot of cameras at home. But yeah, I would also be bringing a camera along with him.

Other stuff I would usually bring along are towels, crates, a leash, some toys and food. So far, I haven't seen any of my puppies complain on the ride home. smile
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 8:45am PST 
Oh dear, I wasn't going to bring Jewel. I already have a sitter lined up for her. There are three of us going so it's a tight fit already with the crate too. I'm not worried about a first meeting as Jewel's used to strange dogs just appearing in her house after all the fostering I did.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 8:52am PST 
I would NOT bring Jewel, either. She won't appreciate it, and this is your time with the baby!
Don't forget the camera, though!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 9:21am PST 
I agree with Toto re Jewel. That initial bonding time is really important, and in my experience puppies tend to gravitate to other dogs over people, especially if they've just left their litter.

I spent tons and tons of one-on-one time with Onyx. Walks with just him, training sessions, play time, ect. Maybe it was unnecessary, but I have an extremely bonded dog now. No SA, just chooses to be with me over anyone and anything, including other dogs.

And yeah, you can't take too many pictures. Don't forget videos as well. I love going back and watching puppy videos of my boy cloud 9
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2