GO!

My 9 month old puppy has major potty training issues. No clue what to do.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Scooter

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 3:21pm PST 
My 9 month old Caviler King Charles Spaniel, Scooter, is still not potty trained at 9 months old. He knows that "Go potty" means to go outside and go. Lately he has been peeing outside and pooping, but as soon as he comes in the house he poops on the floor. Today he has refused to eliminate outside at all. I took him out for twenty mins each time. He sits in the grass and refuses to go. As soon as we come in the house he goes on the floor. His behavior seems to have become worse in the past month, since my mom got an American Eskimo puppy.

I don't think he is jealous of her. They seem to be best friends. The American Eskimo is hardly having accidents anymore, but Scooter is having more.

My parents are at their wits end with my boy, and I hate to admit Im frustrated with him.

I don't know how to correct this behavior.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 3:49pm PST 
Years and years ago my first Labrador mentor told me that the best and fastest way to get a dog to have a bowel movement was to stimulate it with a brisk walk.
I suspect this might be your guy's problem! He goes outside, sits in the grass and then comes inside and walks/runs around with the other puppy and gets stimulated and then he goes.
Try walking him up and down the street rather than just stand watching him. It may take fifteen or more minutes, especially at first, but walk him until he eliminates, THEN let him back inside.
Good luck!
OR, the lazy man's way, which takes MUCH longer, IMO,...take him outside, if he DOESN'T go, bring him back inside and put him in his crate for fifteen or twenty minutes, then outside again and repeat until he goes. NO free time until he goes, then be sure to keep an eye on him as well.
[notify]
Scooter

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 4:21pm PST 
I actually walk him around the yard, he sniffs and then sits, then we move to another spot. He plays non stop with the other puppy which normally causes him to go right away. As of yesterday he peed as soon as he went outside. Today he won't even do that. I'm wondering if it's a battle of wills.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 4:26pm PST 
Scooter, it needs to be a brisk walk, like up and down the street, not just a wander around the yard. If he has time to sniff and sit, he's not moving fast enough.
Dogs, especially puppies, do not have the capacity to conduct battles of wills.
The running with the other puppy is what is stimulating him to go. You need to provide that stimulation OUTSIDE, when you take him out to go.

Edited by author Tue Mar 26, '13 4:27pm PST

[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 10:44pm PST 
I agree on the walking. We have a shih tzu/beagle mix who will not poop in the yard, but as soon as we walk him down the block he will go. He pees fine in the yard, but if he does not get his walks he will poop in the house. Some dogs just need that extra walking.

We have a Boxer who is the opposite he will poop in the yard and not on walks, he gets to excited to poop, lol. And Hazel is still potty training, so I am not sure what she will prefer yet.

But every dog is different, just see what works for your dog, Good Luck!
[notify]