GO!

New Puppy Arrives in 4 weeks!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Angel Lou

Everybody wants- to be a...DOG!- not a CAT

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 1:59pm PST 
It has been some time since I have had a puppy in my home, and am quite anxious for our new little one to arrive. Hubby and I, have been talking about getting another one of our own, and finally went to look a litter of mutt pups smile. They are supposedly Chow Chow/ Border Collie...and I am seeing something else in the pups. It was an accidental litter, not a BYB.

Anyway, with that being said. First, and for most I would like help coming up with a name for my new little guy. He is black, with white paws and is full of personality. He was the most rambunctious out of the litter, and has a take on the world attitude. I would like a name that is unique and bold, like his personality. Any suggestions?

I would other like to hear some personal methods about the best way to go about potty training. I have successfully potty trained a few dogs, but am still not sure what the best way to go about it is...

Food: I feel all of my animals grain free. Now, with that being said do I need to feed him specifically puppy food, if the food I have is for both dog and puppies?

I am excited to hear your responses! Thanks everyone! snoopy
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 4:20pm PST 
I hadn't had a puppy in well over 20 years when I got Moose and I was obsessed with making sure I got the potty training thing right. I didn't want mistakes to linger so I made sure I was on it.
The second Moose woke up from a nap, outside he went. The second he was done eating, outside he went. (That one took me a few times to finally accept that within 1 minute or less of him finishing his meal, he'd pee). After a rambunctious game of tug or any playing in the house, outside he went. At night I took him outside every few hours, but luckily I was able to extend the time in between his potty breaks. He learned to hold his bladder at night pretty early on. But, if I heard him stir at 1am, I got up and took him out.

Consistency is your best bet with the potty training. Moose caught on super quick and the only time he had an accident in the house was when I got too relaxed about how much time had passed since his last visit outside.

As for names--I'm not very good at coming up with names. Only name that comes to mind at the moment is Zeus.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 5:26pm PST 
Prevention is really key to fast potty training. My recommendation is to crate train, and to never let the pup out of your sight unless he's crated. Tethering is a great way to keep the pup near you at all times. They usually need to go after sleeping, eating, and exercising, so always take him out at those times. For the first couple weeks, I would take Onyx out every 30-60 minutes during the day, and a couple times a night (he slept in the crate). Wasn't long before he could sleep through the night, but I did carry him outside every morning because after 8 hours of holding it, he really needed to go and couldn't always make it to the door.

Some all life stages foods are appropriate for growing large breed puppies and some aren't. You'll need to look at the calcium and phosphorus amounts. The general rule is keep calcium around or a little under 1.5% and phosphorus around 1%.

No help on names I'm afraid, I'm terrible at coming up with male dog names for some reason.
[notify]

Angel Lou

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 11:09am PST 
Thank you, Moose and Onyx for the advice. I will be honest I have never attempted the crate training...may look into that a bit more. Onyx I was trying to find the forum that you had made a long time ago, that had a bunch of puppy name suggestions. But can't seem to find it! BOL

I am very excited! These next few weeks are going to be hard that's for sure! Do you guys believe that the puppy picks you or do people pick the puppy? thinking
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 11:36am PST 
Haha, we're getting puppies at the same time! Mine was born Feb 4th so I'm getting her early April.

I plan to crate train (she's going to be a sports dog and needs to be crated at trials anyways) to help potty train. When she's little and first home she'll be in a soft sided crate on the bed at night and work our way (as she grows) to a larger crate on the floor next to the bed. Once she's fully trained and trust worthy she'll be allowed to sleep on the bed.

Edited by author Wed Feb 27, '13 11:37am PST

[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 11:53am PST 
Congratulations on your new addition puppy

My puppy comes home tomorrow and I'm getting to the nervous stage now lol. It's been over ten years since I've had a puppy in the house so I'm trying to get everything ready puppy
We have a crate all good to go... After he sleeps, eats and plays, he'll be going straight outside and if I can't keep an eye on him, he'll be in there... My alarm is good to go every three hours through the night too... It's going to be exhausting but fun!

I'm not a believer that the puppy picks you... People usually say that their puppy came straight up to them and started jumping all over them and playing and that's when they thought that puppy picked them. But nine out of ten times, when you ask the breeder, that same puppy would crawl all over everyone it met, was always first to the food bowl and the bravest around strangers. That puppy didn't pick you, it was like that with everyone. I think most people like to believe that the puppy picked them, but most of the time, that's just not the case... They took home the pushiest puppy and somewhere down the line, if not trained properly, that cute, pushy puppy can cause problems... But that's just my opinion and what do I know puppy

I chose Skip out of a litter of eight because he was just as playful as the other pups, doing all the same things but at a slower pace... He wasn't into everything and chewing everyone's fingers, he was a bit held back but not shy or scared at all, he just wasn't full-on... That was when he was four weeks old though. Now, he's a lot braver, a lot more rambunctious but still friendly, not as jumpy as his siblings and not he'll bent on chewing everything he comes in to contact with... Our energy matched perfectly puppy

As for names,
What about:

Conan - it's Celtic. 'Con' means hound and the name means warrior.
Trèan- pronounced 'Tray-han' means strong in Gaelic.
Ajax - means strong in Greek.
Brogan - Irish for sturdy and strong.
Sloane - Irish for strong protector.
Amaro - Native American for strong.
Az - Hebrew for strong.
Bracken - I don't know what it means but my neighbour used to have a Rottie with that name and I've always loved it.
Spartan - I'm guessing you don't need an explanation for that one puppy
Titan - Just an awesome name and I like that it can be shortened to 'Ty'...
Um....
I can't think of anymore right now lol...

Oh, I would love to see puppy pictures smile
[notify]
Angel Lou

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 12:12pm PST 
Jewel, congrats on the new addition. What lucky dog have you chose out? It is fascinating to hear about sports that people involve their dogs in, have always wanted to do agility. Now, I am getting a BC mix perhaps I should look into it a bit more, can mixes be entered in competitions? thinking

Rocky, thank you! Congrats to you as well on the new addition! I sure hope you intend to share pics as well! I wanna create my lil' guy a Dogster soon as I get some recent pics.

Thank you, for the insight on everything. It is actually a dispute hubby and I were having BOl. Needless to say I won hi5 . I too believe that the puppy is generally picked by the owner. Our little guy is the nosiest and most rambunctious out of the group. The others of course had energy as well being pups, but this little guy was just a curious George which I liked immediately.

My list for names I like is getting bigger and bigger! We have a few that we like...Camo, Saber, Pippin, Slanin
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 12:51pm PST 
I'm getting a mini poodle, there are four girls in the litter so I won't know which is mine until after the personality and physical evaluations are done at 7 & 8 weeks.

Mixed breeds in the USA can compete in sports. Canada is starting to work on bringing mixed breeds into CKC sports.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 6:14pm PST 
Here's the thread I started when I was deciding what to name Onyx
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 12:58am PST 
I have a real thing for S, X and Z. Just cause I was told to not use them years ago.
Spade
Xander
Saber
Zoro
Zephyr
Sebastian
Xango(ruler of thunder and fire)
Sin(god of the moon)
If I think of more I'll let you know.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3