GO!

best time to train

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:33pm PST 
Lexus is my 5 month old Husky. We adopted her a few weeks ago so I am starting to know her moods and when she is sleepy, playful etc...Every evening after our nightly walk she goes through about an hour or 2 where she is very mischievous, very hyper and is really unwilling to listen. So my question is what is the best thing to do with her at that point, do I tether her to me till she is calm? Or take her outside and play with her (keeping in mind we were just out for about an hour walk) Or should I try to get through a short training session with her to put her energy to good use? Honestly what I do now is after trying to play or settle her with no success I usually end up tethering her to me and give her some toys to chew on. Any advice would be great, thank you!
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 9:01pm PST 
An hour walk is not enough. An hour of running around would be more likely to help tire her out.
And when you get home hopefully she'll be tired enough that you can do a session of training.

Moose was another dog at night when he was that age and I could not get his attention for any training. That was the time of day he would just be full of it, so every night I'd have to literally run him up and down my street. Then we'd stop that, play tug and then we'd do some simple training in our driveway.
When we would go back inside, I'd have a calmer dog.
I still have to run him around at night. And I try not to come in until he's done a session of the zoomies.

More exercise and you'll get more attention from her for training. And using a Kong will help tire her out. Stuff it with some goodies, freeze it and give it to her every night. Again, I still do this with Moose. He gets his dinner (after our evening running around), then I put half of his kibble in food dispensing toys and his dessert is a Kong with wet dog food and apple slices stuffed in. And one of those slices is just big enough that it won't come out easily. Tonight he really had to work at getting that apple out.

Your pup just needs an outlet for all of that puppy energy.
She's a beauty.

Edited by author Tue Jan 8, '13 9:13pm PST

[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 9:17pm PST 
Oh no sorry, I should have been more specific. She gets more excise then that, I just meant after the evening walk is when she seems to get like that. We do a morning walk and an evening walk and she has 100 ft lead that she is out on quite often through the day. We go to the off leash park to let her run often to. Just for whatever reason at the same time every night she goes crazy dog on me BOL
Thank you very much for your advice and i apologize for not being more specific way to go
[notify]

Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 9:18pm PST 
BTW thank you, she really is a beauty! She is such a sweet girl, very cuddly! I am so glad I found her, she makes a wonderful addition to out family and has fit is very well.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 9:38pm PST 
Gotcha. Maybe a stuffed Kong would help keep her occupied for some of that spazzy time.
Maybe hide some of her food around the house.
[notify]
Lilly CD CDX- JD JDX AD

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 11:40pm PST 
I would just be careful with an hour walk for 5 months old, the rule of thumb is 5 mins per month of age she is, as on lead walking is a steady pace they cant really stop and lie down if they are tired. Numerous vets have told me this to protect there unclosed growth plates. I have a border collie 9 months and i still only would do maximum 50 mins walk a day till shes older and plates have closed up more then she will be getting two hour walk a day . I also will compete her soon so she does lots of mental things to. But i am ensuring im protecting her joints as much as possible in the growing stage.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 10:06am PST 
I have tried the kong, she doesn't really take to it, but I will try hiding some treats around the house, what a good idea cause she is constantly sniffing around corners looking for stuff to chew so if she can find herself some food i think that would work great thanks Moose.
Lilly, I didn't realize an hour would be to much for her, I guess I never really thought of that so thank you, I will shorten them up, I want to protect her joints and muscles as much as I can so she grows up healthy! I do however stop in the park and sit at the picnic tables to give them a bit of a break and they like to just kinda lay in the snow for 5 mins or so then we walk again. I think what I will do is take both the dogs out but then take the pup home earlier and keep walking with my 3 yr old Husky. Thank you for the great advice!
[notify]