GO!

Seperation anxiety in new owners.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Sputnik

It moves? Love- it!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 4:54pm PST 
As a a puppy owner as of a week now, I'm having huge seperation anxiety. Whenever I need to go to the store, or need to run to the gas station close by, or even need to take a shower or eat, I'm always so anxious, nervous, and worried about my new pups well being and if he's going to go potty inside while I'm gone. I've been with my boyfriend for a year and a half now, and we've been used to seeing each other 4 out of 7 days of the week. I practically lived with him half the week. But now that I have Sputnik, I understand that I can't just go off and stay with him for days at a time like I used to. But when will it be okay to just go out for awhile, like to dinner or even over to his house for a day. And then would it be okay to stay nights with him again? Also how can I stop feeling so anxious even when I'm in my own house about my new pup? I have a crate for him, and have been teaching him to take naps when I can't consistently watch him. (When I need to eat or shower) But I don't believe in leaving him in a crate for hours at a time. I also live at home with my parents and two sibling. So I guess with the whole when am I able to leave him for a day or nights, when would it be less of a burden on them to take care of him when I'm not there? I understand a puppy is alot of hard work and dedication, so please, no smart answers or lectures... Thanks for anyone who helps!

Edited by author Thu Jan 3, '13 5:01pm PST

[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 8:34am PST 
hug
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 11:19am PST 
I know it's hard but you need to try and relax a little. You need to think of the time apart as training for your puppy. Your puppy needs to learn that it's okay to be alone otherwise you're going to have problems down the road. I foster and one of the things that I try to work really hard on is crate training, I crate all my fosters when I'm not home and for the first few days I crate them while I shower or do laundry.

I think it would be good for you to start crating when you do those things as well so you know for sure your puppy is safe. You can give your puppy toys or chews in the crate to make it a happy place, my fosters also eat their meals in there just to reinforce how great the crate is.

Try really hard not to make a big deal out of crating & leaving or coming back as this will help lay the ground work for being okay being alone later in life.

As far as leaving your puppy overnight do you mean overnight in the crate or overnight with your family? Because that's two different things! laugh out loud

Edited by author Fri Jan 4, '13 11:20am PST

[notify]

Sputnik

It moves? Love- it!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 11:13am PST 
I have started crate training him when I take a shower, and usually he falls asleep as soon as he gets in there, so thats also when I do my laundry and the dishes...
I've also started crate training him to sleep in there at night, and I take him out every 2 to 3 hours to go to the bathroom.
With the overnight thing, I mean with my family...
[notify]