GO!

Preparing for Puppy

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Lillian THDN- CGC

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 4:16pm PST 
We are bringing home our 17 week old Shetland Sheepdog puppy this Saturday (01/06).

A lot of thought and planning has been going into this decision as we have (2) young Daughters. I can never be over prepared.

I have been thinking of a list of supplies and would love to hear what everyone else does/did just to cross check and make sure I've got it all covered. We are all just so excited I'm sure maybe a few things have slipped my mind.

Puppy Items:
Crate
Dog Bed
Leash
Collar
Toys (does your puppy have favorites?)
Food & Water Bowls (recommendations?)
Clicker for training
Dog Treats

Do you think I'm missing anything? Add some things to my list. Thank you.
[notify]
Sputnik

It moves? Love- it!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 4:08pm PST 
First off, Congrats on the new puppy!
Second off, as someone who just got a puppy last Thursday, let me tell you, it's ALOT more work then you think.
I've wanted a puppy since I was a little girl, and my boyfriend finally bought me one for christmas. As much as I love the little guy, the first few days made me wish I hadn't gotten him. It's like taking care of a new baby, but in ways a little harder. For instance, you have to go outside with the new pup about every half hour to hour during the day, every two to three hours a night, and you constantly have to keep watch on it to make sure it doesnt go in the house. The watching and consistently going outside in the freezing cold and snow is extremely exaughsting and will cause you to feel completely out of wack for a few days to even a few weeks. It may make you even want to get rid of the new puppy or wish you never got it. But after 5 days now, I can say I'm gaining more patience and more sleep. If I could redo it again, I would deffinately wait untill the warmer months. Getting up in the freezing cold is a huge pain. Seriously consider all the hard work and dedication and training involved, and seriously consider the timing. Just a helpful long paragraph from one new puppy owner to a soon to be puppy owner.(:
As for your list... I would get everything on it, but the bed and the clicker aren't really needed. I have everything on your list except those two things, and training without the clicker is going really well with bits of puppy chow and treats. The bed isn't really needed due to the fact that it will probably chew into it, and it would be kind of a waste of money. Instead I reccommend a old blanket of somesort that you already have, so that way if it chews into it, you wont loose your moneys worth.
I would deffinately add dawn dish soap, the blue kind, in case your puppy comes with fleas. Unfortunately mine did, and I wasnt prepared for it. But after some research, I learned that dawn is a great unharmful way to kill off those pesky blood suckers. Also get a flea comb, and maybe some sort of flea medicen just in case.
Good Luck!
[notify]