GO!

Hi everyone... don't even know where to start....

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

*MAYA*

I arrived and I- conquered!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 1:23pm PST 
It has been a long while that I have not been here, but it has not been possible... sorry. Hello to old and new friends.

So... Maya is now a year old and somethings are perfect, like her potty training and others... I guess not so perfect.

1. Where I have her haircut, which by the way is where I used to take Arthur to, does not do a good job; I am not happy how Maya hates going there and her haircuts are not the most attractive ones to look at.
This last time, the owner told me that she thinks Maya needs to be more socialized. I say, WTH... since I regularly take Maya on walks, she plays with her "boyfriend" Jessie all the time, and she even goes to the doggie park and is people friendly!

2. Maya scratches one side of her face, around mouth area, like crazy! She does it so hard sometimes that I feel the need to stop her. The Dr. gave me ear and eyes drops and Benadryl. The last one makes her groggy... and I hate seeing her like that.
I have changed her food several times, and nothing seems to help (the lastest food is Natural Balance and she loves it; Blue Buffallo worked fine until she got tired of it... and it was not helping her with her tears either, I did hope that would help).

3. As for putting on her harness to go for a walk or to pick her up to take her downstairs, Maya now does not come to us. She just sits there. We utilize the regular commands and nothing. Most of the time, she either does not go for a walk or goes downstairs with us, because it does get old to call her and assure that all is fine and there's an "award" by her coming to us.
I know I should have more patience... and I am working on timing it and than just go my way; what I don't understand is that Maya used to come to us, now she does not, she does understand what is going on but... for whatever reason... she just sits there.

4. She only seems to do "tricks" upon knowing that we have treats ready. Any other way to go about it?

So, any advice? Thanks a lot.

Maya's mom
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 1:17am PST 
"3. As for putting on her harness to go for a walk or to pick her up to take her downstairs, Maya now does not come to us. She just sits there. We utilize the regular commands and nothing. Most of the time, she either does not go for a walk or goes downstairs with us, because it does get old to call her and assure that all is fine and there's an "award" by her coming to us.
I know I should have more patience... and I am working on timing it and than just go my way; what I don't understand is that Maya used to come to us, now she does not, she does understand what is going on but... for whatever reason... she just sits there."

Has Maya already mastered the basic commands? If yes and she's not responding to those commands, she probably is in the Plateau Stage wherein a dog would stop following the commands. There has been no known cause as to why this happens, but it does.

If she is indeed in the Plateau Stage, then you just have to wait for her to get her groove back. That's probably going to be around 2 weeks or so. However, dogs vary. There are others who would get stuck in the Plateau Stage for months. Let's just hope that that wouldn't be the case for Maya.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 5:24am PST 
1. I would say try and find a Maltese whose hair cut you like, and ask where they go. Go to places where there are a lot of dogs, like Petco, and hopefully you will see a dog whose haircut you like. As for the socialization comment, I would ask specifically why the groomer made that comment. Perhaps Maya just does not like being at the groomer?! wink

2. Allergies....? Environment or food..? Fleas...? Depending how long she has been doing it, maybe check with the vet....?

3. That is odd. Has she had her 1-year check-up yet...? Maybe bring it up to the vet..?

4. Frankie does that a lot. Some breeds are fickle like that and have the 'what's in it for me?' attitude regarding tricks, etc..Sometimes what works is lots of praise, and also eye contact and just saying the word once.
GL!! wishes
[notify]

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 6:41pm PST 
maybe if it's just itchy and one side of her face she had a tooth that isn't rooted right, like a hollow or an impacted molar, or one that didn't grow in when it should have. Sometimes adult teeth don't come in right, even if they look fine, well adjusted and shiny on the outside. They will scratch at the face to stop the discomfort.

at 1 year old, you dog is a bratty rebellious adolescent trying to figure out her place in the pack and testing her limits now that she's physically grown. Her brain hasn't finished growing up yet though. It's all parto of the learning and growing process. Just keep patiently insisting on recall the way you want it to happen. Some of the smaller breeds are really stubborn about that. Foxxy likes to test us and see if merely a visual appearance will be enough of a come to satisfy us. We really have to snap to get her to come all the way at times we just insist on it.
[notify]