GO!

Border Collie coat length

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 11:31pm PST 
Hi,

My cousin has a Border Collie that will be a year old next week. We were curious about his coat. Right now it's pretty short with feathering on his neck and the back of his legs. The hair along his back is pretty wavy too.

Both his parents had long hair.

I was doing some reading and some people were saying if his fur isn't long by now it probably won't be and others have said it will continue to grow as he ages.

Will his fur get longer once he's fully mature or do you think it's going to stay the way it is?

Thanks.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 12:51am PST 
Farley is only partially Border Collie but he didn't get long-ish hair until he was an adult. Even at around a year, his fur looked totally different than it does now, and it was definitely shorter. As he got older his tail filled in more, he got way more feathering around his ears/cheeks, and on his legs too. I think dogs' coats continue to change throughout their lifetime, but the biggest changes can be in the first couple years. At least, that's what I've experienced with Farley- he is a mixed bag after all. smile

Farley around 2 months old

Farley (on the right) around 6 months old

Farley around 2 years old

Farley now
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 5:48am PST 
Typically, short coat is dominant to long coat.
So if both parents had long coats, then the pup will end up with a "long" type coat.

However, Border Collies have such a diverse range of coat types that "long" can be pretty much anything from the light feathering to thick and quite long.

I can't find dates on these pictures, nor can I get website to work to post a picture lol but here's a picture of Coby when he was younger:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa185/Ozfozz/Dogs/Coby/ 100_1688.jpg
And his profile shows his current coat.
[notify]