GO!

Help! House training a new papillion puppy.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Fey

I'm in Stealth- mode

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 4:40am PST 
Ok, First off just let me saw i don't have the puppy yet. The pet shop where i saw her buys from breeders that only breed one or 2 breeds and they can only breed their females once a year and must pay atention to the breed standard or the lady won't even think about selling the puppy.

So i went in yesterday to grab some dog treats and i never really pay attention to their puppies but this little girl caught my eye. She is 20 weeks old and the shop had her at $1,000 however in an effort to find her a home the lady had marked her down to $450. I am always talking to the owner of the store and she knows that i have been looking for a new service dog to train for my panic attacks when i travel as my girl is not trustworthy with kids anymore. So after asking me to hold the puppy while she cleaned the kennel she told me that she has had little interest in the puppy and just wished she could find it a home. I told her i would love to but i couldn't afford $450. she then offered her to me for $200 plus she would throw in a bag of food.
Needless to say i wanted to jump on the offer. However my husband has been fighting me tooth and nail over the idea of a second dog at tthis moment. We are in the process of looking for a house. Generally one or both of us is home and the maximum time that a puppy would be left alone is 3-4 hours. this puppy is 20 weeks, but has not lived in a home setting since she was 8 weeks.
I work at a doggie day care and know i could take her to work if numbers were low enough however i can't take her every day.
How hard is it to train a 20 week old puppy to potty outside (or even in a litter box). any tips would be appreciated. I lived in a house with my sheltie and she pretty much potty trained herself as i had a doggie door there and it has been 6 years since i potty trained her.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 12:47pm PST 
"The pet shop where i saw her buys from breeders that only breed one or 2 breeds and they can only breed their females once a year and must pay atention to the breed standard or the lady won't even think about selling the puppy."
First of all, NO responsible breeder of ANY BREED is going to allow their puppies to be sold thru a pet store to people they have never even met.
Secondly, even at $200 if this pups parents have had NO prebreeding health screening you can be looking at some very, very costly health issues cropping up! Paps have hereditary blindness, luxating patellas, heart issues, and more. Without the parents being screened for these diseases, you have NO IDEA what can develop in this puppy.
Finally, any puppy allowed to urinate/defecate in its sleeping area for five months is going to be extremely difficult to housebreak. It CAN be done, but it is not going to be easy. Other behavioral issues can likely develop due to this pup spending this much of the most critical puppy development period in a cage.
Considering you are wanting a service dog, I would certainly pass on this puppy!! IMO, the deck is too stacked against it having the sound temperament you need for that SD.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 7:45pm PST 
Completely agree with Toto. I know how hard it is when you've set your heart on a certain dog, but this is a pet you're hopefully going to share your life with for the next 10-15 years. If you're going to get a breeder dog, it's really worth going to the extra trouble to find a truly well bred one. It will cost more initially, but you'll save a lot of money and heartache in the long run.

The thing is, every pet store claims their puppies come from responsible breeders and it's just not true. Reputable breeds don't sell to pet stores. Period. As Toto said, it's very unlikely this pup had a good start in those crucial first few months, and the results of that will be evident for the rest of its life. Combined with the fact that your husband isn't ready for a second dog, I would wait and use the time to start saving some money, and talking with experienced and responsible breeders who can match you with an ideal service dog candidate.
[notify]