GO!

Puppy shots?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

NYLA

#1 puppy!

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 10:44am PST 
Hi everyone...It's been a while since we were "puppy" owners and we recently adopted NYLA on her 2 mth birthday. I am a little confused on different vets stating they need 4 series. Which is it?! She's had 3 already and thought she only needed her rabies shot at 4mths but now we're being told something different. I would have to over vaccinate for no reason. What is your opinion?puppy
[notify]
Sun

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 11:31am PST 
If she's only 2 months old she shouldn't have already had three series of shots.. that's too much. Most breeders will give the first shots around 7 or 8 weeks right before the pup goes home, since puppy is still protected by the mothers antibodies in the early weeks of life.
The schedule is usually 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 16 weeks, then rabies.

Spook had already been given two sets of shots by 9 weeks and I don't think that was necessary. He will end up with four total though since I will still be continuing them at 12 and 16 weeks.

There is a low chance of the shots being fully effective the younger the puppy is, so giving a bunch of them early is not going to do any good.
[notify]
Rain

Future agility- star!

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 12:37pm PST 
I agree with Spook. Rain had her 3 at 9 weeks (I could be wrong....), 12 weeks and 14/15 weeks. If you give them to close together it is possible that they aren't affective
[notify]