GO!

Spaying and the cost rant!!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Emma-Gem

I'm the PRINCESS- of the house!

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 11:56am PST 
So whi here is getting their dog SPAYED or neutured in the very near future? Have you seen the costs? I am shopping around and the cost range from 350 to up to 500 dollars and my puppy is only less then 8 lbs lol...and what's with some spay at 4 months some spay at 5-6 months and all these options they have do you want this and that?? And this one Receptionnist was like oh well that's what a "responsible pet owner does" (Of course I am a "responsible" pet owner but 560 dollars to have a 5-10 lbd dog spayed??? And many of us don't have that kind of money....(i'm living in farm area of Ontario..unable to work my husband is the only one working and i've looked into those spay/nuture clinics and the closest is Newmarket or Barrie (nowhere near me) But I'm not saying im not having it done i am just saying 560 dollars for a spay is crazy....(Plus the shots) which i got at a good price (80.00) anyone with me on cost of raising a Puppy is getting nuts???
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 1:53pm PST 
Seems pretty normal. It's an elective surgery, and still a fraction of the cost of what an oviohysterectomy would be if performed on a human.

People have gotten used to rock-bottom prices for these surgeries due to the advent of cost-cutting, corner-cutting mobile clinics - which, while a good thing - you're getting what you pay for.

There are organizations that help people afford spay/neuter surgeries if they don't have the income to get it done.

Since it is a one-time thing you could also try looking at clinics that are a few hours away and try to get it scheduled outside of your work schedule. It might be cheaper there.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 2:43pm PST 
Costs vary greatly by geographic region and even between clinics in the same city.
Chance's spay at her regular vet in Oregon cost twice as much as the spay I sponsored for a dog in Ohio.

Check with local humane orgs. to see if they have coupons, clinics, etc.
Oregon has a speuter coupon that can be used at participating vets in the metro area and valley. $60 for a spay up to 60 lbs. +$1 for each pound over 60 lbs.
[notify]

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 2:48pm PST 
A friend of mine took his puppy to his local SPCA or (other shelter, I forget) to have the spay done. $150 for the procedure plus go home pain meds.
All they do is spay/neuter. Check that out
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 3:14pm PST 
It was cheaper here (Saskatchewan) but I adopted so once we were done with everything else (dental ect) it was like $600 I dropped on her.

I'm looking into getting a puppy in the next year or so and I'm factoring her spay into the "buying" cost as it will happen within the first six months.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 3:54pm PST 
That sounds about average. I think our neighbors in the US have more low cost options. Ideally people should as Jewel said factor this cost into the initial purchase. You could put aside a few dollars at a time, and should do that anyway for emergency expenses. Sabs spay surgery cost me the better part of a grand and Shadow will run nearly the same. The pups I have done generally cost around 400-500.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 1:14am PST 
Yeah... There are many low-cost places you can turn to. Here, we have a low-cost or low-income spay/neuter program, and you can check with local shelters if they have lower-cost spay/neuters available, or you could do as Sabi suggested and set aside a bit at a time, and do it a bit later. But yes, it can get quite pricey. If I recall, spays are generally more than neuters because it's more invasive? But I could be wrong on that front. And it does vary greatly from vet to vet, place to place.
[notify]
Emma-Gem

I'm the PRINCESS- of the house!

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 5:46am PST 
thanks for the advice people, obvoiously if i had the money i wouldn't be complaining and i was calling around all day....I found a spay clinic for 175 so that's good! I am low-income. But where i live it's mainly farmers/farm etc so when it comes to vet care alot of the time they just shoot out a number without really thinking (so i decided to return back to my home town where i use to do business with them previously) 175 that's reasonible and i can save for that. I had this lady on the phone who said "oh well that what "resonible pet parents do for their pets) when i saif 560 is a bit much for a 8-10 lbs poodle!! How rude!
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 6:27am PST 
I do agree that it was rude for anyone in a clinic to make a statement like that. I recently took a second(or third) job to help replenish my vet account as my girls have sadly depleted it. I'm in Alberta and the income levels for lo cost here are ridiculously low.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 4:17pm PST 
I don't know where you live but have you looked online for clinics? Alot of communities have spay clinics. Vets are expensive but the local spay clinic here charges 40-60 dollars, quite reasonable.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6