GO!

just adopted a small chihuahua

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 1:04pm PST 
so i asked to look at one of these puppies, and by the time he made his rounds to me, there was one left, i couldnt say no to him, he was infested with fleas and i think an eye problem. i got him, he hasnt had shots, the guy said he was 9 weeks old but he is sooooo small, idk how to upload a pic or i would show you. i think he is younger than that, im taking him to the vet hopefully tomorrow. but what should i feed him? i need alot of advice, i wasnt really expecting to get him, i deflead him, with dawn dish soap and a flea comb, right now he is sleeping on me with a towel. any advice would be great as i have no clue what to do with a puppy this small. i am thinking 5 weeks. he is really small.
[notify]
Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 1:56pm PST 
What makes you think five weeks? Check and see if he has milk teeth still.
[notify]
Lizzie

*Runs around*

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 9:36am PST 
I got Lizzie at 5ish weeks. She was eating hard food we just added some baby food to her kibble and softened it with water. Can your pup eat hard food?
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 9:40am PST 
There's a good chance, given the condition of your pup that this is not a great breeder and there for was breeding for a tiny size.
[notify]
Megatron

The Tinydog

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 9:43am PST 
You can try to upload images to imgur.com, as long as the file size isn't huge. It might be helpful in ascertaining how old this pup is.
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 5:24am PST 
Cocoa was only 6 weeks when I brought him home, too young but he was a rescue. I fed him a mixture of raw chicken, puppy formula, and high quality canned puppy food.

The raw chicken was the only food he would reliably eat. I took him to work with me for the 1st few weeks, feeding him every few hours. He is now 2 years old and doing well.

Good Luck
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 7:46am PST 
anyway, all new dogs should have a puppy wellness check. Your vet can probably tell you more.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 11:16am PST 
I agree on something soft and raw or at least moist. NV instinct or Northwest Naturals is a good bet. With a tiny pup, they will need food every four hours to stabilize blood sugar. and pet their tummies afterward to help them digest Good luck with him!

Edited by author Thu Oct 25, '12 11:18am PST

[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 4:40pm PST 
How's your pup doing?
[notify]