GO!

Puppy Biting - whats normal, whats not?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 34)  
1  2  3  4  
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 12:43pm PST 
True that bull terriers are more tenacious than my Dale spoo mix. OP is in for a fun ride. They are such exciting puppies!

I was used to other breed groups in their puppy stages, so at first I didn't realize that it was so totally normal for terriers to be off-the-charts mouthy compared to so many other breeds. I'm sure my questions sounded silly to experienced terrier people. Honestly the dogs I'd handled before while certainly typically bitey, mouthy pups, they just weren't as...er...dedicated about it as the terrier pups tend to be. It does take awhile to work through it, it can take much longer than a few days, pups can take weeks to learn it. Not to mention that it just plain feels good when they are teething, both a relief and a release for the little ones. Broth soaked then frozen rags are great to have around.

Lu really NEEDED to have something in her mouth, that's why I worked on redirecting her to a chew toy. When she's really excited she's always grabbed something for her mouth even just to hold, so early on it was good to get her on something that was appropriate, that was hers alone and always OK to glom on. I've seen pushing on the tongue work with many pups, too.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 10:09pm PST 
Your puppy biting you is normal as puppies tend to explore their world using their mouths. However, to send the message to your pup that you don't like biting, you might want to use some bitter apple spray or a water spray. Give her a little squirt on the face when she bites you and later on, she'll learn that you don't like what she's doing. Or, you could quickly turn your back on her and don't give out any reaction so you wouldn't be reinforcing the behavior. From the two, I'd rather go with the squirt though.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 4:45am PST 
Using a water bottle ONLY leaves you with a wet puppy who has learned to avoid you!!! Adversives such as this MAY work, but the loss of trust and the fear instilled in the puppy makes it not worth while.
Frankly, a good time out (max 5 minutes) when the pup gets wound up if turning away is not working will teach the pup that biting skin isn't the way to go AND still not teach them to fear you. I pick up my pup and either put him in his crate or another room and it works perfectly! You send your kid to their room for a time out instead of squirting their face with water, right? Shouldn't be any different for your puppy.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 1:09am PST 
Your puppy biting could really get on your nerves. I once had a female guest who was chased by my dog all the way inside the house. She had to close the glass doors on her just so she won't get bitten. I think Coco had thought she wanted to play because she was running away. It might help to have some doggie friends over so they can have a play date. Littermates are great teachers. If your dog does something unacceptable to his littermates, they will surely punish him and he'll then understand that what he is doing is wrong.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 34)  
1  2  3  4