GO!

Puppy diarrhea?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 8:44pm PST 
So since I had the orphan puppies vaccinated and started on hard food they have been having diarrhea. All of their fecals have come back negative for parasites. I have the puppies on wellness puppy. There is no blood in the diarrhea. They all are very playful and have lots of energy. Could the puppy food be causing the diarrhea? Should I switch them to another type of puppy food before they go to their new homes?
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 6:45am PST 
May I add that they all drink a lot of water and eat very well. I noticed tonight that cleo and ranger have semi-solid stools and corona has the diarrhea. So maybe it just needs time for them to get used to the food.
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 1:31pm PST 
They had a rough start.
Pepper always had soft, "pudding" poops, it was suggested that she was being over-fed. she was always very hungry and seems to need the food so cutting back seemed wrong. We also had to consider other factors because of her history. She had been removed with siblings from North Carolina at an early age and sent to CT to the Humane society where we adopted her. she may have been 6 weeks old when they picked her up in NC.
Some things to consider...
.If they have had antibiotics and/or deworming medicine it may have thrown the digestive system out of norm.
Puppies that eat fast (and adult dogs as well) don't digest properly, so if they eat fast that might also contribute to poorly digested food.
Pepper seemed to benefit from a small amount of plain cultured yogurt added to her food. It helped immediately where probiotic additions had not.
[notify]

Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 9:25pm PST 
Thank you pepper for the response. I think that since they did have a rough start to life that they're digestive systems just take time to get used to the nutrition they are getting. Would it be safe for me to tell the new owners that they can add plain yogurt to their kibble to help their digestion? They had received parantel (sp?) which is a dewormer when they were 2 weeks old.
[notify]