GO!

Taking my puppy to a local festival?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Scooter

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 2:03pm PST 
This coming weekend my family will be gone for 8+ hours during the day. We are going to a local fall festival, and then hanging out with family afterward. I do not want to leave my new puppy alone for 8-12 hours in a crate.

I was going to take him to the fall fest with me, but I am not sure how I should approach this. He is wonderful with people, and loves other dogs. But he is only 4.5 pounds (He is a King Charles Caviler Spaniel), and 12 weeks old.

He is horrible about walking on a leash, and with so many people around, I would be afraid someone would step on him. I was thinking about either buying a carrier where I could carry him on my back/front or possibly using a backpack with the top open?

We are going to be at least an hour away, so coming home really is not feasible to let him out by coming home.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 7:37pm PST 
The biggest issue would be the age of the puppy and her vaccination status. I would worry about the puppy contacting parvo since she is probably not fully vaccinated yet. Festivals are often held in parks or other areas where many dogs may of visited.

It would be a good idea to carry the puppy in a dog carrier so she is not exposed to the ground or stepped on. Plus bringing a 12 week old adorable puppy will attract a lot of attention and in a carrier she wont be noticed.

The noises and sounds would be good for her socialization. Dogs who are exposed to these things as young puppies will be more stable as adults.
[notify]
Scooter

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 9:42am PST 
Thank you for the response. He defiantly will not be walking on the ground. He is in the process of getting his vaccinations, he has weekly appointments for the next five weeks for his puppy shots. He has been introduced to my nieces and nephews who love him, and are very careful with him. They would be the only ones allowed to touch him.
[notify]

Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 10:04am PST 
He should not be getting weekly vaccinations. He should have one more when he is 16 weeks old, not one every week for the next 5 weeks. Anyway I would be hesitant to take him to such a high traffic area before the 16 week booster shot. See if someone can come over and let him out to go potty for you.
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 10:50am PST 
I don't think it's a good idea to bring the puppy. Aside from the health concerns, dogs generally aren't allowed in event spaces like that (at least here) so it would be a pity to get there and be told to go home with the dog anyway!

Find a dog walker or a neighbor to let your dog out.
[notify]
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 3:07pm PST 
I have to agree with the others... festivals like that are normally very noisy and can be completely overwhelming to a baby puppy, not to mention the risk of parvo which others have mentioned.
With the number of members on here who have lost puppies to parvo in the last few months, it is pretty obvious that the risk is out there and pretty widespread at that! I would not dare to take my pup to something like this festival. All it takes is for one person to pet a dog who is shedding the virus, then pet your dog and he is exposed.
I currently have a young puppy and he doesn't go anywhere where there is a chance of unvaccinated dogs having been. Parvo DOES kill puppies and the vaccines do not protect until the mothers immunity wears off, anywhere between 6 and 14 weeks, and it is impossible to tell when that occurs without daily titer testing. After that last vaccine at 16 weeks he is most likely safe and that would be a much better time to take him out to an event such as this.
[notify]